Running Linux Mint v17 - I went from 16 to 17....
Now the problem I'm having is this:
When I upgraded i followed a step-by-step update procedure but i managed to not upgrade one of the source files correctly - it didn't actually upgrade it properly so I fixed that and now I have the following grub menu:
'Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda5)'
'Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda5) -- recovery mode'
"Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda5)"
"Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic (/dev/sda5) -- recovery mode"
'Memory test (memtest86+)'
'Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)'
"Memory test (memtest86+)"
'Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)'
"Windows 7"
submenu "Additional Options"
"Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)"
"Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)"

I left the Quote marks as they are listed in my grub.cfg - running update-grub doesn't help it still keeps those entries..

what I did notice is that where it has the " marks is just after this line:
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux_proxy ###
and also
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/21_memtest86+_proxy ###
also noticed the first memtest calls: knetbsd /boot/memtest86+.elf
also the console and second memtest calls: linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin

in Synaptic Package Manager - there are 2 entries for both: linux-image-3.13.0-24-generic and linux-headers-3.13.0-24-generic clicking on either of the image entries or the header image entries to remove / reinstall causes the other one that's beside it to become checked in the same way...

I tried using Grub-customizer which was working before upgrading to fix it so the entries were as follows:

Mint 17 (......)
Memory test (memtest386+)
Windows 7
Additional
(Memtest + Serial)
(Win 7 hidden fix partition)

How can I fix this:
can I switch around the /etc/grub.d/21_memtest86+_proxy with /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ with an edit to make it call .elf
can I switch around the /etc/grub.d/10_linux_proxy with etc/grub.d/10_linux to get rid of the dual entries?

Other people are having problems with Grub Customizer too in Mint 17 same error as I get - Author can see the bug and I'm awaiting a fix - i even tried doing a compile from source of 4.0.6 (latest) no joy same error...