Thread: Missing Generation

Missing Generation

Hi all,

I have a problem with one of a clients on P4 Win XP box. It has buffered 55 generations and wont upload any. on restaring the client. it says:

uploading fileset 1/54 from last run to server
    previous generation is missing.

then aborts the upload and continues on folding. I dont mind the fact that it keep folding but it wont send any any filesets. I have temporaraly stopped this client and started another one, but i would like to upload the 54 buffered filesets if i can.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

thanks

Littlebear

Which error are you getting?
    "STATUS 910 MISSING PREVIOUS OR ILLEGAL GENERATION" is one that I've seen; although I went through a different problem. My gens were all being uploaded - but one gen in the series would get lost in transmission.

I'd suggest making a copy of the directory (or renaming it) and then setting up a clean directory and start the client over from scratch in the clean directory.

Ask Howard and Elena if they'd like to see the corrupted data from your directory - and follow their directions for uploading it, if they do.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Howard: This is liable to continue forever, one generation getting scrogged because of a disk fault, power glitch, or whatever, and the user not knowing about "-purgeuploadlist". Why not just automatically do a "-purgeuploadlist 1" and repeat as necessary.?

At worst, the user loses all this stored gens, which are likely going to be trash anyway. At best, the one bad gen is trashed and the rest upload. In either case, crunching continues. AND you stop getting reports like this!

Googlybear: Try, at the command-line prompt:

.\foldtrajlite -purgeuploadlist 1

Then try the upload again. Repeat as necessary.

And yes, as tpdooley said, start over in a new directory.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

thanks your your replies but i have tried to use the purgeuploadlist command before my first post anhd this did not work. It is also not showing any error messages, just that 1 is missing and then continues to fold. Since it runs as a service, I only noticed it as my stats had stopped from this box.
    When i discovered the error i moved it to a temp dir and started a new client in it's place.
    I was just hoping that i could still send the remaining buffered results but i know it's difficult to prove what the problem is with no error message.

looks like they will be lost forever.

thanks again

Littlebear

Originally posted by Paratima
    Howard: This is liable to continue forever, one generation getting scrogged because of a disk fault, power glitch, or whatever, and the user not knowing about "-purgeuploadlist". Why not just automatically do a "-purgeuploadlist 1" and repeat as necessary.?

At worst, the user loses all this stored gens, which are likely going to be trash anyway. At best, the one bad gen is trashed and the rest upload. In either case, crunching continues. AND you stop getting reports like this!
    i'll second this.

if not doing it automatically, a switch could be added (similar to the upload only switch) that recursively runs purgeupload list.

This would make it much easier for when you have 200+ gens buffered, and a missing previous gen error, so that you dont have to go through each in the chance that you might be able to get some points for them

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    yeah hmm DF Gui with that would be nice... hmm didn't know about that switch Im having a similar problem .....
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..