Thread: ETA on 1.1.2 ?

ETA on 1.1.2 ?

Could I get an ETA for a client with a fixed SSE2 instead of just turned off? I don't want to spend the time to roll out 1.1.1 if 1.1.2 is going to be out within the next 7 days, or so. so, if I could just get an estimate, I would really appreaciate it.

Based on some recent communications with Louis I would guess there will be an attempt made to release the next client sometime in the next two weeks, but there are no guarantees.

And we are patiently waiting.
    John

I sure hope the Pentium-M problems get addressed in the new client.

any status updates from the folks in the know??

Slatz

Slatz,

I haven't heard from Louie for a week. He had some code he needed to write for
    a class, so I expect we will hear back sometime soon.

Fritz

I don't suppose that anyone has heard any further news or expectations of a repaired P4 client?

The last of mine quit today. I'll just toddle off to some other project now, thanks very much.

hmmm..a communication once a week from those in the know might stem this tide out of SOB...just a thought.

Slatz

I am still running 1.10 as secret since I don't like the speed of 1.11.
    Cheers,
    David Bagley

where can you get a copy of it still to run on secret

I have the last two versions.

Windows 1.0.0 and Windows 1.1.0 .

If anyone is considering going back to 1.0.0, if you want it to have a chance of working go to 'config' and uncheck 'transmit intermediate blocks'. The network recovery stuff was rubbish, so the less you talk to the server the better.

To run the "secret" tests all you need to do is change your username to secret. You'll clear your cache and get a new test with a really low n value. I think you want to be running 1.10, too.

The only downside of changing your username to secret is that you can't really track *your* contribution to the project because other people are using the same username. So basically you get to use the full power of your computer to run tests that are unlikely to yield a prime while losing the ability to differentiate your work from other peoples'.

In spite of all of that, though, I've still got my username set to secret right now.

It looks like the "two weeks" to get a fixed client has dragged on to a month now.

Is this project running on auto-pilot, heading for the mountain? Louie (alias jjjjl ?) hasn't been seen here in a month as well...

Is there no one at the helm of this project?

the nice thing bout thesecret account is that you can really see the progress though. (www.seventeenorbust.com/secret ) With this account you can finish tests in a few hours in stead of a week. adn i believe that the chance of a prime having been reported bac kcomposite was about 1 in 100 so there is actually a chance of finding a prime. And if you did find a prime you would be credited wiht the work. The computer that found the prime would have a log showing that it had found one adn I'm sure the user would notice if they ha had the infamous n value. the admins could also eaily verify this too.

longing for info....

As far as I know the secret tests are k and n values that were tested by previous mathematicians who said that they discovered no primes but didn't provide proof of their work, so by doing secret tests you're pretty much checking to see if someone screwed up. This would be why these k and n values weren't tested on the "first run through," if you will.

yes but i would assume that these were done bye pretty much the same method as we are doing them now. They just didn't provide residues for us to compare them with. Granted for us to find a prime it would mea ntaht someone would have had to screwed up or the program doing the test could have simply made a mistake. I'm not sure as to wath can cause this to happen or how common it is but I have read 1% of the time in the past.

Originally posted by Esquire
    longing for info....

Sieve it, baby!
    Basically, it is also possible that a PC made a computation error - faulty memory, overclocked system, ...

More time with absolutely no contact from the project people.

What is happening?

Is anybody left in charge, or has this been abandoned completely by the organizers?

Well i will repeat myself when i say that as a college student i understand that it would be nearly impossible for louie to put much effort toward the project with finals fast approaching. However, if you are out there louie it would be niceto hear from you, if nothing else just to know you're still with us?

Originally posted by Keroberts1
    Well i will repeat myself when i say that as a college student i understand that it would be nearly impossible for louie to put much effort toward the project with finals fast approaching.
    But posting progress once per week as suggested above is not really asking much, even if you are busy.

Perhaps he's staying away cause he knows that if he first shows up in here he will have a hard time leaving again. Psychologicly that would make sense to me.
    Anyways just a few words that Louie is still around would be nice, but as long as I have not read otherwise I count on Louie being back when finals is over.

Originally posted by Frodo42
    Perhaps he's staying away cause he knows that if he first shows up in here he will have a hard time leaving again.
    Who said managing a DC project was easy?

I don't really think one (or two) people is enough to manage such a project. Maybe Louie could recruit some of the more dedicated members around here to carry out some of the menial administrative tasks.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying anyone's personal life is less important than a DC project, but if you don't have the time to give, alternatives need to be sought. Otherwise there isn't much point.

bump info