Thread: Will we ever get to the 5 billion with this protein

Will we ever get to the 5 billion with this protein

I don't know about you guys/gals but this protein seems to be taking it's toll on more than just a few stats orientated crunchers (me included).

Ars technica has dropped 20% as far as active crunchers, Free-DC is down 10%, OCWorkbench is down 10% too.

I didn't go on checking but I would imagine this sort of trend is carried down through most of the teams.

Whilst these people may not be lost to DC as a whole they could quite easily get excited by another DC project and stick with it even when the protein changes.

Now if we stick with 5 billion that is still many weeks away.

Is there a chance of lowering the goal?

Of course this is only if the amount of data that would be achieved is sufficient for the project's needs.

I am just looking at it from a contributors point of view.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

This goal may be adjusted but we need to wait until the new website is unleashed before we do this. That should happen real soon now...
    Howard Feldman

Why should we lower the goal?
    Just because we don't get points as fast as we used to?
    If some one don't want to do the slow ones it's their loss, we get the same points as before, it just take longer time and it is better for us dial-up users.
    If it takes weeks, so what. Many of the users complains about the change over.
    This way it will take longer time before we need one.
    Proud member of The Genome Collective

i agree with HansArne

the slower ones are easier for me to deal with (multiple offline/no-net boxen)
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Hold your horses

Don't get me wrong this slow protein is great for me as I am on dial-up too.

What I was getting at is the reduction in the number of crunchers on this project.

Whilst we who are sticking to it may be creeping up on those on other projects. They may never come back to DF.

Remember it is the project as a whole that may lose out if it's numbers of contributors drops.

At the moment we are losing a lot of people at a high rate.

Will they come back?
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

I'm sure most will, when it gets FASTER.

Originally posted by HansArne
    Why should we lower the goal?
    Just because we don't get points as fast as we used to?
    We moved the last couple of proteins from 1 billion to five since they were so fast. A major issue is whether the additional time to process 5 billion structures is worth it. We could use the same time that it would take to go to 5 billion structures to process multiple additional proteins. Obviously Howard needs to make a decision, but if he doesn't think the additional science from going to 5 billion is that important, he may decide to make the cutoff for this protein be less.
    A member of TSF http://teamstirfry.net/

Unhappy

was just getting acclimated to reduced production..

adjusting OK, with decent results[ RMSD]..
    but lost a box last nite- HDD failure.. and the group is pulling further away: RMSD-wise !!

sad state of affairs...
    " All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

" Crunch Away! But, play nice .."

--RagingSteveK's mom

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Just wait, the next protein will be much slower than this one

j/k
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

RaginSteveK - Where have you been hanging out these days? It's been awhile since I saw you around the amdmb.com forums (or at least the DC projects).

Slower??? /e starts sticking pins in the pointwood doll. (and hoping I didn't pick up the "lazy boyfriend" doll and end up torturing myself..
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

It is a fact that the number of active crunchers has decreased since the release of the new protein. But is it a problem?!

I am currently competing in 5 (OGR, G@H, SoB, ECC2 & DFolding) different contests and the 'slow' protein is the cause of me moving some boxes to other projects. Projects in which my subteam (Los Alcoholicos) and my team (Dutch Power Cows) is still able to overtake some other competitors.

As soon as the protein changes I will re-evaluate how many en which boxes will do what project. I think that my situation goes for a lot of people here.
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

EDIT: I'm happy, I'm happy!!!
    Last edited by Rebels Haven; 11-11-2003 at 05:11 PM.
    Too many computers, too little time......

Nobody is forcing anybody to run any client whatsoever. If you have problems with the 'slow scoring' you can either moan about it and keep crunchin' or move them over to another project.

But stop complaining

I have to agree with mobster on this one. Allthough the protein is very slow it's our own choice wether or not to participate. I think the real die-hards will continue to fold for this project slow protein or nog.
    Proud member of de groazers. Another wonderfull subteam of the Dutch Power Cows

as much of a moderate stats whore that i am, i think this is defintely a "Science Only" question.

howard knows how much data is useful , so we run this protien as long as needed to get the project the DATA that is needed

i think it is as simple as that
    Use the right tool for the right job!

We usually try to run each protein for about 1-2 months, and will continue to do so. That is why we will adjust the target if necessary.

As for the whining and complaining, it really is pointless. As someone above mentioned, we are not twisting your arms to fold for us, and you have no obligation to stay here. As long as the majority of the 2000 or so active users are happy (and I think they are) then so are we. If the slowness of the protein really upsets you that much perhaps you need to rethink things. I can assure you the data generated is just as useful to US whether the protein is slow or fast and we appreciate every byte uploaded, regardless of how many points you receive for it.
    Howard Feldman

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Would you mind adding a bit to my total then?
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

i agree with Brian ...

Hello !

In my opinion it is more important to reach the goal and not to collect points.
    I attend this project because i want to help to find new useful results on folding proteins.
    This useful results will help to find new ways to fight against disease.

So my friends ... go on folding and feel proud of beeing a part of a very important science project.

Greetings from AUSTRIA (Europe)
    ... carpe diem ...

time of life is short enough !

Re: i agree with Brian ...

Originally posted by ipd4711
    Hello !

In my opinion it is more important to reach the goal and not to collect points.
    I attend this project because i want to help to find new useful results on folding proteins.
    This useful results will help to find new ways to fight against disease.

So my friends ... go on folding and feel proud of beeing a part of a very important science project.

Greetings from AUSTRIA (Europe)
    Then why have any points system at all? If everyone thought like you then there would be no loss of participation with the dropping of a points system!

Seems we've all been here before(with other projects), people move around from one project to another(or a new one). Some get peeved with stats/issues/boredom and drop out anyway.

You can't please all the people all of the time(heard that before!)

As much as I love the stats, mostly team ones for us little crunchers, the science is the only reason for the project. So I live with whatever comes, mostly.(Noteable exception:A certain project similar to this one)

With only a modem connection DF or Seti suit me fine and I shall continue to flit around. Carry on regardless Howard(what makes me think he would do anyway).

I find it humorous people would drop out while it is a slow protein. The more people that drop out the LONGER it will take to reach the goal! God damn if you don't like the slow protien then crunch harder! The faster and more of us crunch the sooner we will get to a faster protein.
    Crunchin D.F. for www.procooling.com

Originally posted by joofoo
    RaginSteveK - Where have you been hanging out these days? It's been awhile since I saw you around the amdmb.com forums (or at least the DC projects).
    had been saying life intrudes.. truth is-- been wrapped up in self. I guess..

and I'm only good for one major diversion at a time; everything else withers,,

been DFing about a yr; sorry I wasted so much time getting here...altho the company I kept was first-rate..

show up at AMDMB once in a while when a box dies or windoze tries to alter my lifestyle...

in truth, tho I find it hard to bleve that more DC-TYPES havent found this as the place to spend those CPU cycles...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

" Crunch Away! But, play nice .."

--RagingSteveK's mom

Not that I'm getting impatient or anything but how about it?
    Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    This goal may be adjusted but we need to wait until the new website is unleashed before we do this. That should happen real soon now...
    Closing in on the 1st billion milestone. We've been working on this sucker for 16 days now.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Slow and steady wins the race, but if Mr Boss Man wants to move the Finish line a bit closer I will not complain
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Lets just get this out of the way

ive actually moved my work cpu back (p4 1.6 willy) to DF.
    this one model year a day and 45 days to complete a run in climate prediction was too much for me. this protein is light speed compared to that!

im gonna start splitting some time on my 2400+ @ home.

i tend to do this every few months though and wanna spread the wealth around.
    Driving home the sky accelerates and the clouds all form a geometric shape.

I think the big key to keeping crunchers is stable clients and good stats, not necessarily big stats, but good reliable stats.

Stanford's views on stats stability cost them many crunchers. "Don't like the stats go crunch something else" Not good policy for volunteers.

just remember if it wasn't for the slow ones, the fast ones wouldn't seem fast. We're all in the molasses together.

Just wait for the next one.. We'll wish we had this one back.

Didn't we get a 157 in DF1?