View Poll Results: My Installation:

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I used the windows installer program and it worked fine.

1 10.00%
  • Windows installer didn't work.

1 10.00%
  • I installed as a service under windows with no problems.

3 30.00%
  • Tried to install as service, had problems.

2 20.00%
  • Installed with batch file under windows, no problems.

1 10.00%
  • Tried to install with batch file under windows, had problems.

4 40.00%
  • Installed under Linux no problems.

5 50.00%
  • Had trouble installing under Linux.

0 0%
  • Installed under Solaris/Mac, no problem.

1 10.00%
  • Trouble under Solaris/Mac.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Installation Problems

Installation Problems

What problems have you had during installation.

Hi miguelgarvie

As you wrote some where, what goes wrong for the installation,

is the extra extention on the two files: ITClien.jar and java.policy

Often they is downloaded as ITClien.jar.zip and java.policy.txt

Did i say i must find a java to get up and running the client too!

My main problem with installing on my work Win2k computer was the firewall, which prevents us from using non-standard ports on computers outside of our network (80/tcp, 443/tcp or 563/tcp).

I suspect that a lot of firewalls are configured this way. Any way for the distributed hardware evolution server to use a standard port?

Stephen
    If your desktop gets out of control easily,
    you probably have too much stuff on it that
    doesn't need to be there.
    Donna Smallin, "Unclutter Your Home"

Not sure what your definition of standard port is. If by that you mean ports like 21,22,80 which are reserved for ftp,ssh,www, etc... then there's an obvious problem. Or do you mean ports below 1024?

For example, I used to run webmin to configure my linux box remotely. I would run it like so:

http://my_IP_at_home:10000

But the firewall at work would not permit that to go through since 10000 is a "non-standard" port. I had to configure webmin to use port 443 instead. Port 80 would have worked too, but I was running a web server on that port. Port 21 possibly would have worked, but maybe not port 22. I believe that this way of configuring a corporate firewall is not so uncommon.

When the DHEP client tries getting/sending data to the server, which port on the server does it try to access?

Stephen

The client uses Java's Remote Method Invocation who's server is listening at port 1099. Your firewall seems to be letting things below 1024 go through, is that right? Have you tested to see where it stops working?

Originally posted by miguelgarvie
    The client uses Java's Remote Method Invocation who's server is listening at port 1099. Your firewall seems to be letting things below 1024 go through, is that right? Have you tested to see where it stops working?
    Ok, I set a temporary server running on port 1099 on my home machine and I was able to access it from work. I was also able to access a server on port 1024, but not 1023.

Anyway, I'm trying again to get an island running from work. Here's the command I'm using:

"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\java" -DsocksProxyHost=my_proxy -Djava.security.policy=java.policy -jar ITClient.jar 139.184.166.27 KingKong my_island -i 30 -c 60 my_email

Normally I need to enter a username and password for the proxy. With a browser I get a pop-up dialog for this.

Is there anyway to specify a username and password for the proxy on the command line? At the moment I see: "Interact period is 30 minutes.
    Connect period is 60 minutes.
    Trying to get task from server //139.184.166.27/KingKong", and I don't think this will change without a username/password.

Stephen