Thread: Welcome Back SpeedRaider!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Welcome Back SpeedRaider!

It's good to have somebody else working on this. You've set a good pace.

I see you registered with SOB in in 2006 and got going again this month. What did you do in the interim?

I've been busy with OGR-28. I threw a few systems on SOB for testing. I quit a long time ago due to client stability issues. It looks like the client still sucks in that regard. My newer systems crash hard if I try to run the client. Also my output doesn't match the work I do. I added a 12 core systems a few days ago and my output dropped. I have some 8 core systems which the client detects as 4 core with HT. Core 2 never had HT. It would be nice of someone with real programming experience would re-write the client.
    I'm having fun!!! I'm just not sure if it's net fun or gross fun.

I wish I had the problem of running 8 or 12 core machines. Quad cores give 0 problems. The last reliability problems I had were long in the past, trying to run it on win95 machines. Yes, that's been awhile ago. I do notice the client runs way faster on intel than amd.
    For as long as you want to stay, you're welcome. Folks from free-dc got this team into the top 5 years ago, and since I came relatively late, I've been trying to keep up. Much of what I like about this is the client, that with my machines, it's stable.

How about the stats reporting? Is it delayed ore averaged somehow? One thing I like about dnetc is the ability to run a proxy and get stats from it. I can track the performance of each machine to make sure it is working properly.

First turn off HT. Then go to local.txt and update:

WorkerThreads=4 (change 4 to how many physical cores you have, do not count hyperthreaded cores)
    ThreadsPerTest=1

Whoa! with guru on the job, yesterday Free-DC had the top work rate of all teams!

The stats are updated daily. When you log in, you can look at "current pending tests management" or something, and it will show you progress on every test you have pending, from the last time the client contacted the server. One entry for each test. If the date last reported is today or late yesterday, that means your clients are running. That doesn't easily link back to which computer that test is from, though. For me, I have a batch file I run over the network to copy all the prime.log files to one place, then a text processing program grabs the date/time of the last time that machine's client talked to the server, and shows the computer and the date and time. That's over a windoze network. Back when I was doing seti@home classic, I was all linux, and ssh'd in to each, got the same info, and relayed it back to me (all in scripts). It's not as convenient as it could be, but it was fun to write the batch files and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    First turn off HT. Then go to local.txt and update:

WorkerThreads=4 (change 4 to how many physical cores you have, do not count hyperthreaded cores)
    ThreadsPerTest=1
    The client already compensates for HT and only runs on physical cores.