Thread: AMD Overclocking

AMD Overclocking

I was curious what kind of success all you AMD overclockers have had with the processors without serious cooling. I was bored and decided to try and get a bit more out of my Athalon XP 1800+ (1533mhz). After a lot of fiddiling I found that my main barrier was my memory (I was unable to use a 166 FSB or it was very unstable) so I ended up with a FSB of 152 and I have it running stable @ 1850 mhz with very basic cooling (cheapo heatsink and fan) and a small case fan. The only thing I find unacceptable at the moment is the CPU temp which is at 63 degrees celcius. I don't know what a "safe" cpu temp is, but I assume it should be less than 60 degrees celcius.
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

63C? Damn guy, you really need to cool that puppy down a bit! Regardless of what the manufacturers say, 50C has always been my upper limit. If I can't get it to run cooler than that, forget it. If you plan on keeping that CPU awhile you really should consider either backing it down some, or having a better cooling solution. Sure, it may be stable now, but at 63C how long do you think that's gonna last?

I'll be glad to offer further comments/advice if you want it.
    Gibs. They're not just for breakfast anymore.

Actualy yeah that temperature is after running prime for quite a while. I will back off of it a bit though. Even when I had it clocked 100mhz less it was still running at that temperature. Stock settings it runs about 59 or 60 celcius. So I dunno. I check out AMD resistances and apparently the AMD chips can substain a temperature of 90 degrees celcius, where as a Intel can only handle 6o ro 70 degrees celcius. Not sure how to get her any cooler, it's been running close to those temps every since I had it (which is quite a long time)

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

Wow. Just what kind of HSF are you using? I ask because even the HSF that came w/ the retail CPU's was usually good enough to keep it around 50-52C under full load, and in el-cheapo cases IME.

BTW, have you tidied up your cabling any or given the 'puter a good cleaning lately? Usually those two things are always good for a few degree drop, especially in cases where the airflow is less than optimal.
    Gibs. They're not just for breakfast anymore.

Apparently the case is just has VERY bad air flow. If I take one side off of it, the temperature drops about 5 or 6 degrees celcius (seems to still be dropping as we speak)

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

Electric fence operator

It's not the same core, but...

I've just started working on O/C'ing a Barton 2500+. I've gotten it to 11x187 (2057 MHz - almost the same as a 3000+/400 FSB chip) without incident, with the retail sink and stock voltage. MBM shows the chip running at 32-35 C with DF running for over 4 hours now. Then again, I have an 80mm case fan in a good spot and that side of the case off at all times, so that helps. Still, the Barton sure seems to run cooler than my old 2000+ ever did, and the retail fan appears to be pretty fair (which I'd read).

If I can get it to 11x200, I'll be one extremely happy camper. The mobo and RAM are strong, so I'll hope for the best. Even if I don't get any higher, it's not bad for a $90 CPU.

By the way, I agree completely with the Shaman about cable clutter and cleaning fans. I've seen that do about as much good as replacing the HSF in some cases.

Best of luck

It shouldn't have any problems when running up tp 70°C
    Mine 1800XP did that for days....
    Then I upgraded to an different Heatsink...

Greets Thor

Did any of ya'll know Opteron's run unbelievably cool, When I overclock the FSB to 220 from 200 i get 1.54GHZ, and my temps stay below 43 degrees celsius ... Unless the sensor is off?

btw, what is DOT?