Thread: ChessBrain Action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For those of you who haven't been paying attention lately, we've been in a pretty good race with another DC team called US-Distributed over the last couple of weeks in a project called ChessBrain. While the project's goals are modest (some might even say trivial) compared to some of the other projects out there, it's still a good project to run. Why? Because you can do it without giving up on those other projects that you might consider 'more worthy'. It runs quite well with Distributed Folding, and I have it on good authority that it runs well with several others, too.

Of course, the best reason to run it is because it's fun! We're in a tight race with the upstarts over at US-Distributed (who, BTW seem to be a really friendly group of people ), and we're just now beginning to outrun them on a daily basis. To make sure that we can easily keep an eye on them (and enjoy the beatdown they have coming), I've just added hourly stats support for ChessBrain to my Arachnid system. It's a good time to participate!

For more information on this project, check out our ChessBrain forums. If you're looking for something to do in addition to your regular project (or as a primary project), this might be the one for you!

we've got them spanked if they are at full throttle

Use the right tool for the right job!

Alright, I am in.

Lets go full throttle folks.

Originally posted by PY 222
    Alright, I am in.

Lets go full throttle folks.

Btw, just a quick question. How long does it take to return a workunit and get into the stats page?

yeah, ive installed, and it appears to be running (got cbpn.exe and cbspnw.exe with the right amount of ram), but not using any cpu, even without DF running. do i need to do anything besides fill in the username and team?

the server sends out work at somewhat random times and sporadically , so you'll have to wait a few hours or even as much as a half day before you'll get work and see it do something

this is why this is a "add-on" project and not something you run by itself. it will never use more than a few percent of your cpu cycles over the course of a day, so always run it with your other favorite DC project

there is a graph on the front of the chessbrain site that will give you an idea if the server if currently passing out work

you can see that dip, that is when nothing was being sent out/done, it looks like it has just gotten started on a new game or whatever it does
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Doh.. Fobot beat me too the answer

Originally posted by PY 222
    Btw, just a quick question. How long does it take to return a workunit and get into the stats page?
    You can use one of the peernode monitors to check client activity and Dyy's stats are near real time. So.. If the server is sending out jobs you should be seeing stats with in a couple of hours. All other stats are once a day.

Woohoo... I am already in the stats but I don't know why I am not with team Free-DC?

Someone help!

Check your cbspn.conf file

# CBSPN Server
    # configuration file
    #

# Set UserID (you may use an email address or your name.
    # For example:
    # uid=Joe Smith
    # uid=joe_smith@temple.com
    uid=PCZ

# Set DC team name
    teamname=FREE-DC

PCZ, thanks for the info.

I am in the Team already.

Lets get going.