Free-DC as an entity really has only a couple of small expenses (aside from bandwidth which I don't really worry too much about), one of which is the cost of domain registration. With the current registrar, that's about $55 a year and it's coming up soon. I know you can register domains much more inexpensively than that (IB originally bought us the package with all the bells & whistles & I just renewed instead of moving it last year ), but it's been working pretty well so I've left it be.

Now, $55 doesn't really affect me personally one way or the other, but it would be nice if Free-DC was self-supporting, if you know what I mean. With that in mind, I'm considering setting up a PayPal account in Free-DC's name for paying the domain registrations & any other small expenses that may come up in the future (i.e. the vBulletin support contract comes due, or IB's super computer server needs a new hard drive, or we decide to purchase some other piece of software for the group's use). Donating to this account would be completely voluntary, and it's something I'd like to put a cap on (i.e. nobody pays more than $10 or $15 at a time). I don't want any one person footing most of the bills around here.

Up until now, IB & I have been paying for these kinds of things out of pocket, and I certainly don't mind continuing to do so if this turns out to be infeasible or a bad idea. However, if people want to help out, I'd like for them to have the means to do so. What I'm looking for here are opinions. Does this bother anyone? Does anyone have a better idea? Can anyone see any potential problems? What does everyone think?