Thread: New Logos for a New Design

New Logos for a New Design

I've been tinkering with a new site design for some time now. I've nearly got a complete version of the homepage ready to share with you guys, but I want to show it with a new logo. With that in mind, I've spent the last week or so trying out different things for a logo.

I tried a variety of simple shapes, fancy graphics, & even some fancy photo background stuff, but none of it really seemed to fit with the clean, modern look I'm trying to give the new site design. Since none of that worked, I'm now leaning toward a very minimalist logo: just text.

I've been looking at one version in particular for a couple of days & it's growing on me. I think it may be the one, but I figured I get everyone's opinion on the matter before I decided.

So, here's the my current favorite in two versions. One with a dark blue background (this color is used on the new site design) and one with a generic white background for use in other places (maybe on a t-shirt, perhaps? ):

Logo #16 with Dark Background

Logo #16 with Light Background

So, what do you guys think? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

If it seems too plain, it'll probably make more sense when you see the new design (probably in a day or two). Personally, I think it's quite elegant, but mine's not the only opinion that counts around here.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    As part of the Free-DC team in a minor way (Ars don't have a team at the moment), I would just like to say that I think that new logo is freakin' cool

I love the font and the simplicity of the logo, but I generally prefer clean and simple designs

Looking forward to the new design!

Ps. A little request in regards to your cool stats pages. Since I check all your stats (DF, F@H and Chessbrain) pretty regularly ( ) it would be nice if it was made easier to switch between them. A block in the left menu with links to the frontpage for the different project stats would be cool

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but stats are important, I've already myself
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Looks very good. If you're aiming for a clean, modern look, I think you're right on target.

Looks good and will make a nice a shirt too.

has been eaten by a grue.
    Very nice, Dyyryath. The text seems a tad thick to me, but I like the typography.

I like it!!
    I really like the white background because you can
    see the shadow on the font well.

Man, it will rock on a mug!

Ray

I'll have a shirt and mug, please....
    FreeDC Mercenary

I like the Dark back ground.

Looks good to me

can't wait to see the new design you have cooking.

Yikes I'm the minority...

I'd prefer a less thick font without the Comic Sans feel? The drop shadow works... I just prefer something a bit more "button down".

Also, with light sensitive eyes, I prefer muted and blended vs bright and strident.

Either way...proj on.

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

No worries, Chinasaur, all opinions are welcome!

Now...let me go deduct some points from your stats for criticizing my damned design.

Actually, I don't think you'll mind the font when you see it on the site. The logo's not nearly so big, so it doesn't stand out as much as it does on the two hi-res examples. Your other concern should be no problem, either. I'm looking at doing a couple of different user-selectable 'skins' for the new design. I'll have one using the current color scheme, the new color scheme, and probably a couple of other variations. I'm sure we'll find one that you like.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Blog Entries
    Looks great Dyy! I like the dark background.

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Dyy, I really like the font. Great work man.