So, a little more about the outage today and then where we stand.

The PSU was dead, as well as the UPS which it was attached to which was kind of weird, but maybe one caused the other. Anyway I got it up and running with a spare, older PSU. Don;t get me wrong this machine is still fairly robust.

A few weeks ago a very generous member from the overclock.net team donated a few servers. One of them was a Dell R900. This is a huge machine, with 4 xeon processors, 64Gb Ram and two 15K 300Gb drives. I needed to add some drives, but first of all I installed linux on it and thought I'd see what it was like running some of my more intensive calculations. Well, it was a little slower than expected. Maybe due to the memory interconnect? Not really sure. I still need to spend more time on it. Been in and out of town last few weeks in Dallas so hard to find quality time.

Another very generous member of Free-DC has also offered to build a server, which would be very powerful. Dual xeon, 72gb Ram, SSD's. That would be a very good DB server and I could also leave the current one as a failover (leave it running. I'll talk more on that later.

I may have a bitcoinutopia campaign setup at some point in the next few weeks which will also help.

For reference I estimate it costs me roughly $120 pm to run the systems, so donations certainly help out with that.

Coming up in the future, we are very close to getting TWC MAXX in my area, which will bump my connection to 300/30 from the current 50/5. No extra costs involved, but I will need to replace my aging firewall to take advantage, but that's not essential (it's a P2-800 or something running smoothwall). I did receive a newer gigabit router recently to take care of one of the places. Was supposed to get Fiber last year but it seems like the company that started putting in the lines went out of business )

More later.