Thread: dfGui and Nov 20th Client

Boinc'ing away

Question dfGui and Nov 20th Client

Been having a few problems when running dfGui with the Nov 20th client - if I have dfGui running every few hours DF will die with an error message of :

Code:
    FATAL ERROR: [013.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 5719} Cannot open file .\progress.txt - disk may be out of space
    I'm not out of space - and stopping dfGui doesn't cause this error to reoccur...I've tried both 3.1 and 3.2 - both seem to kill DF with the above message after a few hours...the only similarity is that the clients that die are running Win2k...

I'd thought I'd post here before the DF bug section to see if there is any known issues with the Nov 20th client/dfGui/Win2k...

Hmmmm interesting. dfGUI opens the progress.txt file as READ_ONLY but that might block another application from opening it and Writing to it. dfGUI only has the file open for a fraction of a second but you might just have been lucky enough for it to be reading from progress.txt when the DF client was trying to write.

Are you seeing that if the DF Client cannot open the progress.txt file (like the error message suggests) the client stops and exits? That seems like a strange response from the client since the progress.txt file isn't necessary for the client to continue working. It could just try the next time it hits that cycle to see if it can open and write to the file.

Nobody has reported this problem before so something may have changed in the new DF Client has makes this happen more frequently or maybe Howard just added a check for this where it would never exit before.

Boinc'ing away
    It is odd - especially when dfMon does the same thing (opens progress.txt as read-only) but I haven't seen any issues with that - just with dfGui running...and if that was the cause then I would expect to see it on all my clients (XP, Linux and 2k) using either dfGui or dfMon...doing some tests show that having the progress.txt open in read-only (under Delphi using FileMode := 0) allows the file to be updated...

The client dies (stops running) but the progress.txt file is there still (only noticed this problem when dfMon was reporting the clients as stalled)...

Might throw this up in the Bug section anyway - and as you say, it is an odd response from the client...just wanted to check as it did/does seem the dfGui is stopping DF from updating the progress.txt file...

Ho hum...

I experineced same thing with threee systems at different times - happened only once per system. Client just exits. I do use all three monitoring programs, namely, DFGui, DFMon and DCMon. All programs report client as stopped. Restarting the client makes it work again - probably a bug in the client code...

Boinc'ing away
    Posted in the Bug thread as it's happening with no dfGUI and dfMon monitoring

Hmmm, well in one way its good to see that its not our software causing the problem but now I guess its a total mystery. Thanks for double checking this.