Thread: Friendly Reminder on the Chessbrain Front

Friendly Reminder on the Chessbrain Front

Just to be sure everyone is aware:

US-Distributed is on our threat list.....
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

Affirmative!

Will proceed in deploying more machines to the ChessBrain front!

Sorry, I've had to slack off. Im running PHP, mySQL and apache, as well as an ftp server on my home computer. I was quickly running out of memory, and DPAD wasnt getting anytime. I had to cut my CB clients from 8 to two, effectively reducing my output by two.

Although, heres a friendly tip. Run 8 or so clients (I use firedaemon, but you can register them as a service with special exes. Think Anandtech posted an article about it) and it will triple your output. But you need the memory to do so.

Exclamation Chessbrain as all that I have and more at the moment

We are still getting seriously outproduced by US D
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Yeah, it's getting downright ugly for us in ChessBrain right now. I'm adding machines, though. I've got 9 machines that I got from IronBits that I'll add in the coming days. I put four up so far, another five coming later this week (when new cases get here).

I've also got an insurance office that I do some work for willing to run the client for me. I'll try to get out there and do some installing on their machines as well...
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Cases? Why wait until you have cases? Just duct-tape the power supply somewhere that it won't fall onto something, and it's close enough that the cables all reach, and you're good to go!

I do need to get my second machine back running it, though. It's only a P3-800, but every bit helps, I'm sure. Plus it's normally running all day, as opposed to the only machine that's running the client right now, which is only on for maybe 6 hours total in a normal day.

OS rebuilds that remove the g++ 2.95 libstdc++ cause issues with this client, though...
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

LOL, I need cases because I'm a neat freak.

IB was using ATX splitter cables to run one 400w PS per pair of boards. He was running them open. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I've ordered a bunch of identical cases with 250w power supplies in them to put in my racks. I just couldn't leave them out.

I already had 3 spare, matching cases in my 'supply' room, so I brought three of the nodes up. I also had a case for the server, so it's up, too. I'll have the other 5 cases here Wednesday or Thursday so by Friday my stats should start looking better...
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

well i normally dont run DC projects on my fiancee's computer because it gets a bit warm and theres no good way to kill the DF client on shutdown for win98, but this seems like the ideal project for that situation, so ill see what i can do

edit: actually no, theres not enough ram in that thing to spare 16 megs all the time. is that the bare minimum?
    Last edited by Scoofy12; 12-15-2003 at 03:20 PM.

/me is hard trying to get some collegues along with the project, but it is not easy.

I have now as long as I can my homecomputers playing chess, but the gf ( close to a ) says it is nono during the night :/ Well, maybe I need to start earning loads of money fast, so I could afford myself a server room somewhere else, and load it full with power.

Anyways, more power is still needed. Especially during the WRA!!!

Talking Anything and everything is welcome

so install it on anything that has an Internet connection and enough RAM and lets fend off US D
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

I hope to get hold on my brother's new P4 2.6 Ghz at least for playing chess... won't give to me for DF because he thinks its useless....
    His HD is damaged , but as soon as it is up and running......

Greets Thor

P.S MAybe Santa is good to me and sends a AMD XP 2400.... Anybody got one in spare? and doesn't need it ? send it to me

I can throw another two clients on it, if its needed desperately. Not sure how long I can keep em running, but I can try. Shouldnt affect my servers performance that much.

Originally posted by Scoofy12
    well i normally dont run DC projects on my fiancee's computer because it gets a bit warm and theres no good way to kill the DF client on shutdown for win98, but this seems like the ideal project for that situation, so ill see what i can do

edit: actually no, theres not enough ram in that thing to spare 16 megs all the time. is that the bare minimum?
    Yeah, that's about it. What kind of RAM does it take? I've got quite a bit of old SDRAM lying around here...

To everyone: If you have the memory, you can throw multiple clients at it on each computer. It doesnt take tooo large of a bit out of your other projects, and only consumes more memory.

Unless you run 10 clients like I did for a while, which eats a ton of memory, and no other project gets CPU time

So im only running two now, i guess. Darn!