Thread: distributed distributing...

distributed distributing...

hi,

what Distributed Clients _EXCEPT_ Distributed.NET client can use UNC paths and Microsoft Networking for getting/sending data for processing?

I've got small LAN, and I'd like to use it globally for DCing...

Washuu

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Most of the clients can, however, very few of them allow you to actually save your data on a remote server, assuming that's what you mean.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I'd like to put DC client in Windows NT logon script in such way, that lets every computer getting data from the server and putting the results in the same server.

Besides, Distributed.Net client is the only client that can get blocks of data from one common file and return blocks to another common, shared file. So it's very easy to run many clients with the same configuration.

My problem is that I have a few hundreds machines logging to one server, but without internet connection. I have no time to install client on each computer, and manually supplying the data to process.

But I know that power of such networked computers can be pretty big and useful, if properly organised - and it seems that only Distributed.Net had thought over such situations.

Or -maybe - someone from you have a brilliant idea how to do this? ;-)

Regards,

Washuu

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    They might not have "Internet" access, however, if they're logging into a server, that means they have a network connection, correct?

If so, setup a proxy server on the main server, and route your DC clients through that. Most all clients allow access through a proxy, and that should work just about the way you want, however, it'll require storage on each of the machines to work.

Assuming the server has an internet connection then I think Find a Drug would work for you.

If you set up FAD on the server all the rest of the computers can run the client from that.
    Just share the directory fad is installed in.
    Map it on the clients and launch the exe.
    The server will monitor all the clients and upload/download work for them.

Originally posted by Darkness Productions
    They might not have "Internet" access, however, if they're logging into a server, that means they have a network connection, correct?
    Not really - this network is (and must be) very protected from the Net. The only possibility is temporary modem connection from this server, just for exchanging data with some another server and by the way - exchanging computed blocks for fresh ones. So the server must keep many blocks for distributing, and collect the results between transferring to DC's server.

OK, that's all for now - it's very probable that none of the rest of DC clients isn't able to get data for process from one common spool, and that's what I am looking for.

In another words - I'm looking for solution for isolated LANs - with temporary internet connection or even packets exchanging through WWW or email only.

Now I'm writing a program that runs on each computer (from login script) and prepares data ranges for Sieving primes (SoB project). It should be rather easy.

Regards,

Washuu

Originally posted by PCZ
    Assuming the server has an internet connection then I think Find a Drug would work for you.

If you set up FAD on the server all the rest of the computers can run the client from that.
    Just share the directory fad is installed in.
    Map it on the clients and launch the exe.
    The server will monitor all the clients and upload/download work for them.
    OK, that's better! I suppose I will participate if I get bored by sieving :-)

Washuu