Thread: next.txt stuck?

next.txt stuck?

For the last 24 hours the test 5359*2^4879702 has been in the next.txt file, why is that?
    In my understanding the next.txt file should shift pretty often, something like every time a new test gets handed out.
    For one thing it has screwed up the sieve-stats (well I got lot's of extra point for some old P-1-factors so I guess I shouldn't complain)
    I fear that everyone who got a new test during the last 24 hours was assigned to 5359*2^4879702, but I don't know as I have not gotten any new test's myself.

I just got a new WU and it was 5.21M, so doesn't look as though this is affecting the main PRP effort.

I wonder if the failure of next.txt has anything to do with this comment on the news page? Alien88?

-----------------------
    Server Downtime
    (posted by mike garrison) Monday, 08 Dec 2003
    I did some brief server maintenece from about 1:00am to 1:15am so if you experienced issues accessing the website or reporting blocks, that was why.
    -----------------------

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by MikeH
    I just got a new WU and it was 5.21M, so doesn't look as though this is affecting the main PRP effort.
    But it is a problem for those of us doing p-1. I wasn't aware of the problem this morning, so I put my laptop to work on n's around 5.22M, if you are getting WU's around 5.21M now, that is a little bit too close. (But I believe the laptop will finish in about an hour so it should find any factors before a test is handed out - but as long as the scores are based on the content of next.txt it will score fully anyway, so perhaps I shouldn't worry).

.Henrik

yes but it wouldn't help the project at all if the test has already bee nassigned. That is why we're here isn't it

Well it seems next.txt is on the run again
    At least this did some good as the sieve-stats now isn't dependent on this little jumpy fellow and thereby should get somewhat more dependent

Hey it's doing it again. For at least an hour next.txt has been
    k n
    22699 5408254
    and I got assigned a test in that time.

As I remember it, last time it was because of a possible prime dicovery while it was being double checked.
    I just hope that is the case again, even though it is rather troublesome changing SoB.dat and all that stuff when it happen but I guess I can live with that.
    It doesn't look like any k's are falling behind on the project stats site but they may just be trying to hide it from us

Oh well even if it's not a new prime a little paranoia is always fun

it moved again
    k n
    10223 5550437

So either someone trying to hide the primes from us saw my post and made another decoy or I'm just being strupid.
    A combination is also possible.

no prime yet.. not sure what happened

next.txt is only updated 4 times a day. it's not surprising that it would be "stuck" for hours at a time. I believe it was originally designed to update 4 times a day an hour before each sieve stats update so that Mike could have more than one daily update.

Cheers,
    Louie