Thread: Anyone have a P4 Hyperthreaded Linux box on the Net?

Anyone have a P4 Hyperthreaded Linux box on the Net?

This might be a strange request but I was wondering if anyone out there has P4 Hyperthreaded Linux box that is connected to the net with SSH or some kind of shell access? And if yes, would they be willing to give me a temporary account for a day or two?

I have basically written a distributed/parallel version of BZIP2, the popular compression program for Unix. So far on my Dual Athlon MP box and on a 24 processor SunFire box it scales pretty well (2 processors = half the time).

I don't have access to a P4 Hyperthreaded machine to see how well it works on that kind of hardware. I am in the middle of writing a paper on my algorithm and would like to include that benchmark info as well. All I need is a basic shell account so I can compile my software and run a couple of tests to get timing information then you can nuke my account. The only thing I can offer in return is an acknowledgement in my paper for letting me use your hardware.

Once I get the bugs worked out and do thorough testing of the software, I plan on releasing it and making it available to anyone who wants to use it.

Jeff.

Never mind, Silicon over at Ars Technica was kind enough to let me borrow his box for a couple of hours.

Now if anyone has a 4-way or 8-way SMP machine, please let me know!