Thread: Best Project for P2 233 (dial-up)

Best Project for P2 233 (dial-up)

What would be the best project for a P2 (233MHZ) at a work place, it's only used once a hour or so for 5 minutes, it has 128MB ram, but it also is on dial-up and probally can't access internet but every 4-5days . AND the project needs to be VERY un-intrusive ,a screensaver would be GREAT, any suggestions?(lot's of cycles being wasted, but i don't want my friend to think it's slowing down his computer while he's using it) he said he'd try it out

i would do one of the distributed.net projects, OGR-25 is the one i am doing currently

the client is HIGHLY configurable and can get some work done even with a very slow cpu

it is a low ram client as well
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Blog Entries
    I'd suggest also a distributed.net client.

FoBoT said why...
    the-mk

Blog Entries
    yes. they right.

but dont do rc5-72. set it to ogr.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

DPAD is also another good client for slow computers with no dedicated connection. It doesn't need to download WU's at all. It comes with a background version of the client that does not have an presence at all on the machine except for in the tasks window. You can run the manual send script at any time when it goes online.
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

Minister of Misinformation magicfan241's Avatar
    I would also recommend DPAD. You can set it to not connect to the internet, and then when you are over there, you can connect it.

There is a uber-cool screensaver for it, as well as an invisible background client.

I'll have to say DPAD since it has a screesaver, unless i can talk him into turning off the monitor instead, but i doubt that very much . Thanks. everyone!!

Unless it is too late, I'd also suggest OGR-25, but maybe Find-a-Drug too. If you configure the client so it knows how fast the CPU is, it will download work units of a suitable size (smaller for slower CPUs). If you have a hefty cache, it will keep the machine busy until a dialup connection is made, at which point the completed work will be transferred and new work will be received.

Aside from those two, there is also ECC2, which is almost perfect for dialup machines. Probably not much use unless the CPU has MMX technology though.

i use to run ECC2 on it, though it became to slow with new software he had at the time(only 64MB ram), i gave him some more(+64MB ram) last weekend though .The problem with ECC2 is that he has the screensave on forever, and, the screensver takes up alot of juice, so, if i get him a new screensaver, it takes up the juice instead, Maybe i could switch between a few projects every few weeks? Again thanks for everyones help any more suggestions very welcome!