Thread: Win XP crash due to D Folding?

Unhappy Win XP crash due to D Folding?

Hi all of you,

I'm folding for over 2 months now but as I recently overclocked my CPU and memory I'm getting the blue screen with the message physical memory dump.
    These are my specs:
    ASUS A7N8X Bios 1007
    AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+@3200+
    Dane-Elec PC3200/400 DDR memory

So I'm having these settings:
    FSB = 200
    MP = 11

It's not a temperature problem, because I've got my CPU going much hotter than this so that's not the problem. Have you got any idea or is this just a normal flaw within winXP. for anyone who fixes this

greetingz thekip

PS I'm not putting my processor back to the normal settings just to participate in Distributed Folding (first things first
    Always looking to hunt down some FDC maniacs :P

I've been on a folding team that highly encouraged overclocking. But the hard drives I used were not compatible with out of spec VIA chipset overclocking. The performance gain was small.
    If your performance gain is small - and DF proves that your system is not reliable at the OCed speed - then why OC? Perhaps visiting one of the hardware sites will get you in touch with folks that have experimented with the Asus nForce2 MBs that can suggest how far you have to relax your memory timings or step back the cpu OCing to make it reliable.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

And what temperature is your CPU running at now?

If you've "had it at much higher temperatures" in the past, maybe that caused permanent errors on the silicon (I don't even know for sure that that's possible, but it wouldn't surprise me) that are causing the BSOD's now...

What's the rest of the message on the BSOD? Yeah, it says "performing physical memory dump" or something like that, but that's not all it says. The really important part is what actually caused the kernel to panic and go into that state. It'll be something like "STOP 0x00000008 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA)" (the number is probably different) or "STOP 0x00000009 (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)" (again, probably with a different number).

The hex number and the description are the necessary pieces of information.

If the machine's rebooting too quickly for you to see this, then there's a place somewhere in the OS settings (on 2K Pro, under Control Panel -> System -> Recovery tab, there are option buttons for whether to automatically reboot, whether to write something to the event log, whether to do a full memory dump or only a 64KB one, etc.) where the automtic rebooting should be able to be turned off.
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima