Thread: Rule of Law Prevails

Rule of Law Prevails

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3332633.stm

A good quote - "Even in times of national emergency... it is the obligation of the judicial branch to ensure the preservation of our constitutional values and to prevent the executive branch from running roughshod over the rights of citizens and aliens alike," said the ruling by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Additionally, 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals voted 2-1 that the U.S. government must release Jose Padilla from military custody within 30 days. Padilla, accused of conspiring to detonate a dirty bomb, is a US citizen who has been deprived his rights of due process for a year and a half and has been held without access to legal counsel in a military prison.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/18/pa...ase/index.html
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Honestly, I'm glad. There's a reason we have due process, and it's not so that people can be randomly thrown in jail for a while. This means that there's still someone in government with half a brain that can follow the laws... what a concept.

Amen! "Due process" is the most precious of rights.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.