Thread: Update problems on Win98

Update problems on Win98

error #1:
    I have a Win98 system that I watched download the update on Friday, and then update the executable and just stop. (I was trying to run with the upload switch.. -ut).
    Restarted it.. and it then uploaded fine.
    (Win98SE, 256Megs Ram, 750Mhz Athlon slot A cpu).

error #2:
    On a second win98 system, some time after the update, the new client popped up with an illegal operation (no error message in error.log - as expected). Win98SE, 256Megs Ram, Athlon 1700+ cpu, msi 6738 mb (or 6378) - the sdram only motherboard.

----------
    I've seen reports of error #1 showing up on other people's systems - as mentioned on other team forums.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Can you explain #1 a bit more clearly? And was it only a problem immediately after the update in which case there's no point looking at it?
    Howard Feldman

I stopped the client with a "q". The window disappeared. I clicked on the fold_ut.bat file which starts foldtrajlite.exe with the -ut switch. The client connected to the server, and started to download the updated client. When the download was finished, the client unpacked the download and updated the client. And everything stopped. I had to run fold_ut.bat once again to get the stored folds to upload.
    It's the first time I've noticed that happening; so I've mentioned it.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

The program makes certain assumptions about the batch file being called 'foldit.bat'. Since you have called it something else, you have probably broken its logic somewhere is my guess.
    Howard Feldman

Brian,

DL'd the latest Win text client twice in 3 days for a Win98 box...unpack..start foldit..get "can't find rotlib...download if not there..blah.blah.blah" error in the error.log.

I haven't folded on a Win box in over a year so maybe I'm missing something other than starting up a command client, cd'ing to dir, typing foldit, and it "used" to start up.

Any ideas?

1. Yes. I have 10GB of HD' space
    2. No. My RAM is not faulty as this box runs Knoppix 24/7 on DF with no problems.
    3. No I'm not a noob.
    4. No, my aura does not stop watches.
    5. No, I am not the son/daughter of a Nixon Republican.
    6. Yes, my Win patches/updates are up to date.

I think that about covers the usual questions you reply with.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Do you actually have a rotlib.bin.bz2 file in the newly-created DF directory?
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Dunno, we only have one Win98SE box around here, and I'm not sure where it is at the moment.. As such, I'm afraid I cannot officially support Win98 anymore. I'm sure its something stupid though. Are you clicking on an icon to start it or running from the DOS prompt? If not the latter, try that... And check if the named file is indeed there and readable of course.
    Howard Feldman

I downloaded the complete distribfold-current-win9x.zip to update my only remaining Win98 box, rather than letting it autoupdate. Running fine.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Chinasaur

Have you tried just double clicking on foldit.bat? I do know that there was some deal when you run stuff from the command line in windows that you had to add .\ to the front of what you were running, you could try that.