Thread: Startup problems when server down

Startup problems when server down

Why wont the Linux or FreeBSD clients start folding under the -qt flag when they can't contact www.distributedfolding.org? The cleints trys for a few minutes then quits.

They are quite happy to keep folding if the server disappears, however production drops off a bit.

If you run in nonet mode (add -if to the command line and restart the client) while the servers are down or busy, that won't be (as much of) an issue. They seem to do the same thing with -qf (or with no -q flag).

Not sure if that helps at all, though...
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Originally posted by bwkaz
    If you run in nonet mode (add -if to the command line and restart the client) while the servers are down or busy, that won't be (as much of) an issue. They seem to do the same thing with -qf (or with no -q flag).

Not sure if that helps at all, though...
    Too much work, I have 20 machines folding and I cant stop and sart each one manually with and without the -if flag each time I want an upload, needs to be more automatic than that.

Actually, if the client can't contact distributedfolding.org then it starts up after some delay and runs fine. It is only when it contacts it and it is down when you first start up that the client just quits. It has never made any sense to me but that is the way that it works. If I have to start up when the server is in this condition I unplug the ethernet cable until the client starts running and then plug the cable in again. It is not very elegant but you don't have to do anything later such as turning network access back on.

Same problem with the screen saver. It will quit if it can't contact the server. This defeats the reason for using a screen saver. It is to go on without user intervention.
    I am getting resistence to fixing this. Brian the Fist doesn't seem to think it is a problem!
    I think I will email StarDragon about it, maybe she can get the fix moving forward.
    If that doesn't work maybe if we all emailed them, they would fix this issue.

Ill put this issue to a poll since it has come up a number of times (see main section for the poll thread)
    Howard Feldman