Thread: Team Build

Team Build

Hello everyone!

I've been here a few hours now, and so far everyone seems really nice. This is quite a bit better than the US-Distributed atmosphere. They're all about business. Now, to steal a good idea they had and have completed. They have a project that's ongoing called "Project Node". The team -donates- a dollar amount they wish towards building a big cruncher. Example: US-Distributed built an ASUS SK8N with a 144 "1.8Ghz" Opteron system. This wasn't a dual-channel board though, so maybe we could go for the SK8V, which I believe is dual channel. We can take our time funding it, and once a week we can post how much more we need. Once it's fully funded the parts can be ordered and the system built. We register the node under a Team Name like FreeDCNode1 to watch its stats. The funders get to vote (every $10 donated is 1 vote) on which project the node works on. At the end of every month there is another vote to see if the Node will remain on the current project or switch to another. We can build an AMD based system first, then a Pentium based system second (for all of you expensive folk out there). Once one node is funded and built, the second on can start. Eventually the goal would be to get a node built specifically to run each project. Some projects do well with Pentium, some do better with AMD. Then we'd have permanent systems out there crunching for the team. It's costly, and isn't expected to be finished in a matter of a month, quarter, or year. This can be an ongoing project. If the team were to break up, the nodes can be sold off and the money distributed among those who originally donated (though marketvalue would be substantially less).

Let's get some feedback!

Captain Moose

Hmmmm. Well, maybe. We've already got a somewhat similar system that seems to work fairly well. A couple of our members volunteered to be the "collectors" and "keepers" for used equipment. If you've just upgraded and have some parts or even whole systems left over, Free-DC Hydra Central or Free-DC Hydra West would sure love to get it. They scrounge enough to get a system together & put it online crunchin'. (Hydra East left us with nary a word & no one has picked it up yet.)

Not quite the same thing, but similar and it works.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

if the hydra east system is still accessible, I can take it over and put it on my cable. I have a free cable modem from Comcast and they've given me free business speed instead of residential.

Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
    if the hydra east system is still accessible, I can take it over and put it on my cable. I have a free cable modem from Comcast and they've given me free business speed instead of residential.
    Ding...Ding...Ding... I think we have a winner

Originally posted by cygnussphere
    Ding...Ding...Ding... I think we have a winner
    I vote for Capt'n Moose to be an operator of Hydra East!

Here is a review that Capt'n can read over
    Hydra Review

Coments and other votes?

Ray

I like the idea of the Hydra Program a lot. I'll have to talk to my mom about getting it all setup and whatnot, but it shouldn't be a problem.

The good part is my dad lives just about 10 miles from my mom and I can setup systems to run through his DSL connection too!

Captain Moose