Thread: Do you have...?

Do you have...?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a used Athlon XP 1900+ chip that I could get? I don't want to pay Pricewatch.com price if I don't have to (I know it's pretty good though). I get constant lockups on my current system I built, and I think it's because of the chip. I've worked for almost two months on this computer and weeded out a bad HDD on it. I think the chip isn't good anymore. It's not a cooling problem, though I will be upgrading the HS&Fan soon. So if anyone can offer a little less than Pricewatch.com on one, I'd be very interested. If not, oh well, and I'll go w/ the pricewatch.com price.

Thanks,
    Captain Moose

I don't have one, but are you sure you're not having power supply issues? They are an often overlooked cause of random crashes/lock-ups...
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

CaptMoose,
    I agree with Dyy that the PS could very well be the problem along with overheating... could you give us a more detailed list of whats in the box?

PS: where are you in Indiana?

-JT
    I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass
    -The Eagles (Get over it)

Indianapolis...

Anywayz...

It's an Antec Case w/ a 350W ASUS Blue PSU. I think that's it. It starts with an A and it's either Antec or Asus. Either way, CompUSA sells the PSU stand-alone for $65, so that's why I bought the case (and the case was Antec).

Other info about the computer:

Maxtor 10GB HDD
    1.44 floppy drives
    BUSlink DVD+-RW
    80GB WD HDD (soon)
    Standard CD-ROM drive
    Syntax V266 mobo
    Heatsink & Fan (came w/ mobo)
    Athlon XP 1900+ (came w/ mobo)
    GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR Video Card
    256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
    AOpen 5.1 Surround Sound Card
    Running WinXP SP1 Professional (Student Edition)

There ya go, there's the guts.

Captain Moose

any ideas yet?

I agree with the above, even if it's a new machine, swap out the power supply first to see if that's it. That, or a memory chip or video card or whatever isn't in all the way, or windoze isn't installed right. Very rarely is a cpu the cause, in my experience.

My 2 cents...
    I would say that its one of the following:

#1 Driver issue (Its a VIA KT266A board... the 4 in one drivers are notorious for being fubar)
    #2 CPU getting too hot ... try a better HSF or ventilate the case better... DC projects tend to push stock HSF's to their limit
    #3 Bad ram... you can try using less aggressive memory timings or swap another stick in if you have one.
    #4 Bad Motherboard.... Replace with a NForce2 board or even a ECS K7S5A Pro ($37 at newegg)

I swore off VIA Mobos a couple years ago and I'm glad I did.

good luck
    JT

Minister of Misinformation magicfan241's Avatar
    I have a Biostar board with that chipset, with no problems, but I would check everything else before calling it a dead CPU. If it is a dead CPU, you have all the parts to build a second computer

magicfan241

1.I believe I installed the 4-in-1 drivers, but I'll try it again if I forgot (the Syntax board came w/ no drivers, so I believe I went and found the 4-in-1's).

2. I will be adding a new HSF soon.

3. I plan on buying an extra stick of PC2100 ram anywayz, so I'll swap it out.

4. I'll try an nForce board next.

Thanx,
    Captain Moose

Actually since your running Win XP you don't need the 4 in 1's... the drivers are already in the OS

-JT

PS: have you ever went to the computer shows in Indy? the next one is January 31st. The pricing isn't bad and you can take it home with you

I'm using an nForce board in my development box now and I LOVE it! (And under Linux, no less )
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

Originally posted by JTrinkle
    ....PS: have you ever went to the computer shows in Indy? the next one is January 31st. The pricing isn't bad and you can take it home with you
    Where is this show going to be at, and what time on 31 January?
    Thanks in advance.
    Folding 24/7 for a cause
    www.hardCOREware.net
    HCW DF Team!

Indy Show

I don't know if its worth driving from Fort Knox though.

-JT

Originally posted by JTrinkle
    Indy Show

I don't know if its worth driving from Fort Knox though.

-JT
    Thanks. I go to Indy about twice a month from Knox. The old Ft Ben is close to that show. I think I might attend anyways.
    Folding 24/7 for a cause
    www.hardCOREware.net
    HCW DF Team!

How many people do we have in Indiana?! Geez...

Anywayz, I thought of something else that may be able to determine what's goin on with this computer...

When I shut it down to work on it, I always flip the power switch on the PSU off so nothing else will happen (or before I remove the black power cord). When I plug the power cord back in, or flip it back to the ON position on the PSU, the computer will:

a) Turn itself on (without the power button on the front ever being touched in the working process prior or anything).

or

b) Turn itself on and immediate shut itself off after a second.

When I say turn on I don't mean the HSF spins a little, I'm talking it all lights up (I have 2 80mm LED fans in the case too )

Maybe this will help some. If not, I'll upgrade to a better HSF.

Captain Moose

P.S. Under the BIOS, when I look @ the PC Health Status, 1 of the fans is being read at 4400RPMS, and one is at 1560RPMS (or thereabouts). I believe the 1560 is the HSF fan....does that sound right? I'll post back which one's which when I go see the computer for its next checkup.

Electric fence operator

Got a used 2000+

Hey Captain,

If you decide that it is the chip, or you just want an XP 2000+ (at sub-pricewatch price), let me know. I've got it in an A7N8X right now, and it has been flawless (never o/c'ed...really!), but I could stand to upgrade it if the opportunity arises.

And to make it even better, I too am in Indy.

E-mail me @ CaptainMooseInc@cs.com with the price that you're wanting for the XP 2000+. I'll buy an ASUS board for it and switch it out on my dad's comp and take his faulty one and build it again and see what happens. We can just meet in Indy somewhere that we'll setup via e-mail to exchange $$$ for parts.

Captain Moose

P.S. Interested in selling the board w/ it?