Thread: Unusual client configurations

Unusual client configurations

Hey guys,

In a nutshell: I'm back! (Some of you may not know who I am. That's okay. I'm David Norris, the "other" guy behind SB. I usually like to hide behind Louie and let him take the blame for my screwups.) I'm getting settled in at a new job, we've got a new prime under our belt, and life is good.

Firstly I want to congratulate everybody. While I've been hiding, it looks like a very large number of people here have been doing some very great things with the project -- improving sieving and factoring, to name a few -- not to mention finding primes! I'm really impressed and I'm glad people (most of them, anyway) are having fun with the project.

Now to the point. I'd love to hear about "unusual client installations." What's the strangest environment in which you guys have gotten the client to run? Clusters, on shared filesystems, on embedded devices, whatever. The stranger and less "well-supported" the better. What kind of trouble did you run into? What hurdles did you have to jump to get the thing to work for you?

An obvious question is, "why do you ask?" For the most part I'm gonna dodge that question -- for now. I'd like very much, though, to stick around for a while and see where I can help out around here.

Thanks to Mike, our excellent sysadmin, I've got a new email address to use for SB-related issues: danorris@seventeenorbust.com. But post your "unusual installations" here on the forums, unless there's something you think you need to talk to me or Louie about privately.

Cheers!
    --
    David Norris
    danorris@seventeenorbust.com

Sieve it, baby!
    Welcome back, David!

As you stay silent about the purpose of this question, I can't figure out if my config of the prothsieve client is of any use for you.

If not, just stop reading from here on...

At university, we have approx. 30 Linux computers featuring a filesystem. Thanks to mklasson's help, I can run infinite instances (one on each computer) using only a single client copy and dat file. This really gives way for very useful yet simple scripts.

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by Mystwalker
    At university, we have approx. 30 Linux computers featuring a filesystem. Thanks to mklasson's help, I can run infinite instances (one on each computer) using only a single client copy and dat file. This really gives way for very useful yet simple scripts.
    The sb client doesn't use any dat file.

I have a somewhat similar setup, only I have both prp-tests and sieve-ranges (and technically factoring tests - but those only run on 1 or 2 computers) integrated and can start any one test on any of the avaiable machines (unfortunately most of them have windows installed too, and sometimes people use that). All my scripts are at most 4 lines including the #! one.

.Henrik

Originally posted by hc_grove
    The sb client doesn't use any dat file.

I have a somewhat similar setup, only I have both prp-tests and sieve-ranges (and technically factoring tests - but those only run on 1 or 2 computers) integrated and can start any one test on any of the avaiable machines (unfortunately most of them have windows installed too, and sometimes people use that). All my scripts are at most 4 lines including the #! one.

.Henrik
    Can you install Cygwin on the windows sides of those machines, get ssh running and start clients that way?

P.S. If its the registry you're having problems with, search the internet for command line options for regedit.exe.
    Proud member of the friendliest team around, Team Anandtech!
    The Queue is dead! (Or not needed.) Long Live George Woltman!

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by Ken_g6[TA]
    Can you install Cygwin on the windows sides of those machines, get ssh running and start clients that way?

P.S. If its the registry you're having problems with, search the internet for command line options for regedit.exe.
    I'm not the administrator of those machines, so I can't really do anything.