Thread: CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive not detecting or playing DVD movies

CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive not detecting or playing DVD movies

I have a opteron 240, LG 48x24x48x16 DVD-ROM drive,(Geforce FX 5200) i am using windvd, because powerdvd didn't work, but windvd doen't work either, just re-installed os 2 days ago, before re-installing OS it worked fine. It says no disc in drive, and when pressing play on windvd it does nothing, tried setting region. didn't help. In windows XP Pro(i am running) it detects it as dvd-rom/cd-rw but it can't detect or play the dvd movies!!Help would be GREATLY APRECIATED, keep in mind it use to work!

Boinc'ing away
    Try going to the Device Manager screen, selecting the DVD driver and viewing the properties, then go to the Volumes tab and click populate...I have had a similar problem before and doing this enables XP to recognise the DVD drive properly (even though it says it is a DVD drive it won't recognise DVD media - like movies - until this is done)...

If that doesn't work then not sure what else

still doesn't work, DOH!

Does anyone think it could be because i havn't activated my windows again since i re-installed my OS???

Talking Can you burn with your drive?

Does burning work, or is it just DVD playback that's borked?
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Does anyone think it could be because i havn't activated my windows again since i re-installed my OS???
    I don't know what the problem is but I am sure activation is not it.

just DVD playback

Anyone think a fresh install of OS would do the trick?

Later today:

NOT, i just re-installed and it still won't play DVD's, maybe reformatting and then reinstalling os, worth a try.
    Last edited by matrix_fan; 01-02-2004 at 11:43 PM.

Question Try this matey

Might be the answer

Here
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

THANKS everyone for all your help, and of course your time. I tried the patch but it did not fix it . Because the drive is not even detecting the disc, i think maybe the dvd laser went out. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LG DRIVE AGAIN!!! And that's a warning to all, my computer is only2 months old at max, and the drive went out( the DVD part). Then again i guess it could be software related, I just plan on buying a DVD-ROM and sticking it in right below the combo drive which really isn't combo anymore .But before i do that, I have such a tall case I have to buy a longer IDE cable .36-inch or something of the sort I think.

I tell you what, This is the Cr0ppiest cd-rw i have experiance. The dang drive is slowing down my whole computer! I put in a CD,( i have autoorun disabled. So i go to y computer, guess what! It's not loaded yet, so i wait 15 seconds, then it shows up as the current CD, ok i forgive the machine for that, i run the program( actualy a game installer) so it get's to 70% and FREEZES, my cd-rw light isn't flashing, nothing is going on, this has happened before , just not as often/bad/with like ALL of my CD's. , So i click on the link to inter net explorer, nothing happens for 1 minute, i click on defrage , nothign happens, i clcik on cancle install, it says are you syure, i say yes, nothing happens, i clcik on explorer again, then i say ok fine, so i remove the cd from the cd-rw and GUES WHAT! all the internet explorer windows open and the defragger comes up! I am definantly getting a new one before too long ! NEVER BUY A LG DRIVE! I think the whole drive is going out slowly, first the DVD part, now the regular CD part. I just may exchange it for my parents 52x24x52 cd-rw, and give them a regular 24x cd-rom

Opteron,

1. If you are going to replace your drive, I just recently put a Pioneer DVR-106D DVD RW into my Mac and its great. Its also a PC drive so no worries there. Only cost $130 or so. Does =R and +RW (sorry..keyboard got wet and cant do the dash or apostrophes

2. I see you are looking for computer parts. I have TWO 1Ghz Morgan Duron chips looking for a new home. I used them for approx 6mos 24/7 but they are good chips, hardy and true They are low heat but their cache is also only 128 total or so. Let me know if you want them.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

My parents drive, is a lite-on, which I used before I got my computer, and it's been great, nah, I don't think i'm ready for DVD recording . Now my drive won't even read my The Sims original disc. Weird........Just like it was doing the DVD's , not detecting it.

Thanks i'll PM you.

Good news, i called thecompany, they sent out a shiiping label. called the people to pick it up, 1 week later, i received a NEW, LG 52x24x52x16 combo drive. mmm free upgrade. And so far it's worked great(last few hours). Great service, though it makes you wonder that it went out after a few months use.....