Thread: little help plz...

Slacker Extraordinaire

little help plz...

ive got the new client.
    the speed increase is great, but...
    the constant crashing is a bit annoying. ("not responding").
    is there any way i can get the v1.1.1 client back?

111 is still available at <http://linux.redbird.com/~alien88/sb111.exe>. The 121 release was supposed to fix that problem, but 121 had other (much more serious) problems and we had to pull it from the downloads page until it can be fixed. 111 might be slower on your platform because of the SSE2 issue, but at least it'll run =(

--
    David Norris
    danorris@seventeenorbust.com

Slacker Extraordinaire
    thanx K

any idea when those bugs are gonna be worked out?

Believe it or not, I don't have the source code for the current Windows client -- it's on Louie's computer instead of in CVS, and Louie won't be back from his vacation for another week or so. I'm sure one of us will fix it up shortly after he gets back. Until then, I guess we're stuck with a flaky 120 or slow 111... =(

--
    David Norris

Slacker Extraordinaire
    its all good.
    im back to v1.1.1 ...id rather be gettin something done rather than have it crash all
    the time.
    ill keep an eye out for v1.2. (or is it now 1.2.1?).
    ill tell ya, i already miss the (almost) 90% cEM/s rate increase. :shocked:

thanx again K....

can you run 1.2.1 and just not have it report back to the server? Then use version 1.2.0 to send in the results???

As far as I know there were no changes to the cache file format between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1, so I don't see why not ... but, again, only Louie could say for sure.

--
    David Norris

Sieve it, baby!
    Is the "reporting back to server" part the only problem of the 1.2.1 client?

Is the "reporting back to server" part the only problem of the 1.2.1 client?
    I too am interested as to what was wrong. I never got hold of that version.

Also, why the comment from Dave?
    Until then, I guess we're stuck with a flaky 120 or slow 111
    1.2.0 - the only problem is it crashes when you press the "stop" button? Right? So don't press the stop button! Any other problems? I have it running on 4 different PCs all different processors (P3, P4, Cel and AMD XP), all no problems.

1.2.1 has completely broken network code. Broken, meaning, it had a serious memory leak and, more seriously, it isn't able to connect to the server at all. Louie made some changes to it in an attempt to fix the segmentation faults on Linux. Unfortunately he didn't have time to test his fix before he left for vacation, so he released it untested. The fix inadvertently broke the network capability and caused the memory leak. As far as I know that was the only problem specific and new to 1.2.1. Hopefully, the lesson learned here is "never release untested code." Nevertheless 1.2.1 is useless for now.

I don't know what you mean by "Why the comment from Dave?"

--
    David Norris

Slacker Extraordinaire
    Originally posted by MikeH
    the only problem is it crashes when you press the "stop" button?
    nope.... it would crash all on its own.
    the few blocks that it got done before it started crashing would go thru fine.(as far as i know. the cEM rate increase was showing up in the stats page).
    ...while it was doin its thing it would just die.

how bout it Louie?... got a timeframe on those fixes yet?

I don't know what you mean by "Why the comment from Dave?"
    Maybe it would read better as

Also, why the comment from Dave "Until then, I guess we're stuck with a flaky 120 or slow 111"?

What I was really asking is what's so flaky about 1.2.0, because it seems fine to me?

But I think I have the answer now. 1.2.0. Windows version is good except for the stop button, but the Linux version is not so good? Is that about it?

Sieve it, baby!
    Originally posted by Shifter2101
    how bout it Louie?... got a timeframe on those fixes yet?
    -->
    Louie won't be back from his vacation for another week or so. I'm sure one of us will fix it up shortly after he gets back.
    (Jan 1st)

But I think I have the answer now. 1.2.0. Windows version is good except for the stop button, but the Linux version is not so good? Is that about it?
    To the best of my knowledge, yes. I know I sound like a broken record, but I haven't gotten my point across. I haven't been involved with client development in a very long time, and I'm not completely informed as to details of problems with specific client versions on specific operating systems or chipsets. I'm trying to answer questions the best I can in Louie's absence, but the bottom line is that there are and will be questions I don't know the answers to.

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by MikeH

There is no Linux version of 1.2.0.