Thread: Linux help...please

Linux help...please

i installed Libranet classic...whew. ok,wasn't really that hard except for the networking thing. so anyways,here's my problem. i downloaded the first linux text proggie on the download page of df.now what the heck do i do? here's what it looks like on my monitor:

Open a terminal window from your menu.

cd /distribfold-current-linux-i386.tar.gz/distribfold

./foldit

and away you go!

You may want to change "distribfold-current-linux-i386.tar.gz" folder name to something a little shorter. Like "folding".

Good Luck

I think Konqueror has you confused. I think you're browsing into the .tar.gz file, a lot like Win ME did with zip files (it made them look just like folders). What you have is not a folder; it needs to be extracted before you can use it.

In a terminal, cd /home/mike/Desktop, then tar xzvf distribfold-[hit tab here] (the xzvf means the following:

x: extract files
    z: run through gunzip, since what you have is a tar archive that's been run through gzip
    v: be verbose, showing each filename as it's extracted. Not strictly necessary
    f: the next argument is the archive filename to extract stuff from.

The [hit tab here] part means to do just that. Most shells have this nifty little tab completion mechanism for filenames that massively reduces typing; learn to use it. )

After you do that, you'll have a new directory named "distribfold". So cd distribfold and ./foldit (and answer the questions). Then ./foldit again to start running the client.
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

bwkaz,yes, i had to unzip first. i actually used the read me file beside the download at Blueprint.

>gzip -d distribfold*.gz
    > tar xvf distribfold*.tar

so anyways, i'm rocking now.

here's another question. i'm using DC Monitor so i need to be able to see the linux box from my main comp. before when it was Windows, i simply put the DF folder in a shared file,and i could see it through my network places. i'm going to research but any pointers you can give me?
    Last edited by N.V.M.; 01-03-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Couple of options. You could use dfGUI for Linux instead of DCMonitor (I'm sorry, I had to ).

I assume the machine you're running DCMonitor on is running Windows, right? If not, there are a couple of other options you'll have. But if so, you'll probably want Samba. It lets you "share" a directory on your machine in a manner that will allow Windows machines to map it. Libranet should have either installed it already, or should have it available for you (I think something like "apt-get install samba" might possibly work...).

Once it's installed, setup isn't terribly difficult. You need to make sure the workgroup is correct, and choose something for the computer name. Then all you should need to do is create one share in the config file. Make the source for it be your DF directory (/home/mike/Desktop/distribfold probably). Restart (or just plain start) the samba daemon.

Then try to access \\computername\sharename from another Windows box. You might need to reboot the Windows boxen a couple of times to get them to see \\computername in the first place, but that's par for the course when you add another machine to a Windows network anyway.

If you're monitoring from another Linux box, then you can use NFS instead of Samba. It supports a more traditional permission structure (one that's just like the normal permissions). Or, you can run dfGUI for Linux () on the Libranet machine, with DISPLAY exported to the other machine, and let the X11 libraries do the network transparency for you.
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

tyvm. yes, DCM is on windows. i like buffering and with the monitor program, i can see all my machines at once and get a "benchmark" too,and see which machine has buffered the most over the week.

Ah. OK, try Samba then. If there's something that doesn't work quite right (actually... Libranet might have some automatic configuration tools), post back.

ok Guys I get this error what does it mean when I type in ./foldit and it spits out this.

./foldtrajlite: error while loading shared libraries: libncures.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is this a packet I should have installed?

Originally posted by Drowis
    ok Guys I get this error what does it mean when I type in ./foldit and it spits out this.

./foldtrajlite: error while loading shared libraries: libncures.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is this a packet I should have installed?
    First, it is generally in good taste to start a new thread when you have a question that is not related to the initial thread. That is just food for thought.

The Answer:
    The libncurses.so.4 errors occurs when you try to run the gcc version of the client on newer versions of linux distro's. If you are running a current version of linux, try the icc version of the client.

Hope that helps.

sorry I though this thread was just for linux help I will start a new one

its ok guys, Drowis is on my team. Dave, i posted back in the Daily update thread back at HCW. don't use the gcc...lol.

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Regardless, if you have a libcurses5.so, you can create a link from the version 5 library to the version 4 library, and all will work magically.