Thread: Best RMS Never Shows Up...?

Arrow Best RMS Never Shows Up...?

At least 3-4 times now, I see a RMS number that is lower then my personal "Best" get uploaded, but never shows in the stats... Twice now with the new Protein...

Is the GUI mis-reporting the RMS value, and that's why it never shows up...?
    Too many computers, too little time......

The GUI reads its values from the progress.txt file so the DF client would have written it to progress.txt for some reason.

Maybe you can post what your "best" is supposed to be and what the stats server is showing to see what is the difference.

Well, it's a huge difference, and only mentioned the anomaly, because I saw it again yesterday...

My personal best is 10.89 The last RMS I saw get uploaded that was better, was 6.39...

Had to be an error I assumed, which is why I didn't post the numbers in the lead post...

Just an oddity......?

Where EXACTLY are you getting these two different numbers from, I'm still not clear where you're looking.
    Howard Feldman

The GUI displays the current and the best. Here, take a look. The system I'm surfing on right now has a 5.38 as the best:

Hmm, if that is your first set on that computer completing, I would say it is just an error with dfgui.
    when you do an auto-update, dfgui will not reset the values for the best Energy so the 5.380 is from the last protein.

IF this is not the first set on that computer then I don't know what's going on....

Greets Thor
    Last edited by Thor; 11-05-2003 at 11:49 AM.

Boinc'ing away
    I've seen that with a team member - is that the first run of the new protein on the machine? The reason it's showing 5.380 is that it's from the old protein/algorithm where the RMS was used - this time it should be a higher value - and dfGUI (as far as I know) doesn't reset that value when gen 0 re-starts...

No this is not the first set of the new Protein.

This machine has been running a client online since June, and auto up-dates as required... When I saw the best being in gen 229, and the present is at 60, the light went on.... That's old data being displayed. The other machines doing it must be the same situatation... Thanks!

That would do it. dfGUI doesn't know if you are working on a different protein so would keep a record of the lowest value since you started it.

I guess I could keep track of the protein size and if it changes that should signify we have switched to a new protein and then reset that value. Of course that wouldn't work if we switched to a different protein of the same size but so far that has never happened.

Jeff.

Boinc'ing away
    /off-topic slightly

The way I am doing it in dfMon is slightly different - I have a reset flag which is set to true when gen 1 starts and the set to false in gen 0 once used...that way if a user needs to restart a set it will reset the 'best' values - the value is stored alongside the client locations so isn't lost if the app is closed...possibly not the best way but it seems to work

Hey Jeff, how can I clear the old values out of each clients history...?

Originally posted by pfb
    /off-topic slightly

The way I am doing it in dfMon is slightly different - I have a reset flag which is set to true when gen 1 starts and the set to false in gen 0 once used...that way if a user needs to restart a set it will reset the 'best' values - the value is stored alongside the client locations so isn't lost if the app is closed...possibly not the best way but it seems to work
    It seems that dfMon only records the best value after gen1 has started.

See pic below for screenshot of the best value dfMon gives me compared to dfGUI's (cos my best value so far was in gen 0)

???

not that important really, just thought i'd let u know

[or is that just what you said above?]

Please don't MIX 3rd party apps questions/problems within the DF client threads.
    There is a whole section just for them.
    Thanks.

To Rebels Haven:

You might also update your version of dfgui... around there is the new version, 3.2. Has got some extra changes for this slow slow new protein...

http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/index.html

Ciao!

This kind of question has its own thread. Look for Add-on/Utility/Monitors/Stats, as DFGui is a third-party app, and post your concerns & questions there. Thanks!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

ENERGY IS NOT THE SAME AS RMS !!!

dfGUI has no way of knowing what the RMS of a structure is. The RMS is calculated on the DF servers.
    Dutch Power Cows, The Stampede that's heading for the top.

Originally posted by Hagar
    ENERGY IS NOT THE SAME AS RMS !!!

dfGUI has no way of knowing what the RMS of a structure is. The RMS is calculated on the DF servers.
    Doh.... I new dat!

Thanks Hagar, of course! It even says that it's energy...