Thread: Receive while uploading

Social Parasite

Receive while uploading

I use a dial-up connection through a proxy relay (squid). I've noticed that on my modem (on the relay machine), during the UPLOAD of a whole series of filesets, the 'Receive' light seems to be lit as much as the 'Send' light. (Though they alternate, with sometimes the one predominating, and sometimes the other.)

What is the DF client-proxy-server protocol doing, to have my modem's 'Receive' light be lit so much during an upload? (To my mind, an upload ought to consist of longer-duration 'Sends' of the filesets themselves, with only short-duration 'Receives' needed to acknowledge the data that was sent.)

mikus
    Last edited by Mikus; 01-06-2004 at 03:01 PM.

Perhaps you should try a port/traffic sniffer
    Howard Feldman

Social Parasite
    I do not currently have any port/traffic sniffers installed.

I was able to use a "raw character trace" on the interface in the relay machine. [I was unable to format the information shown; all I could do was look at it.] Though I could not identify the individual messages, what I saw led me to conclude:

1) After the data for a fileset has been transmitted to the DF server, the proxy receives data which includes the words 'Connection' and 'Close'.

2) To this the proxy seems to respond with data which includes the words 'Connection' and 'Keep-alive'.

3) Now the DF server sends a __LARGE HTML DOCUMENT__. Among the contents of this HTML document are a TITLE "Welcome to Blueprint", lots of images/spacer.gif, OPTIONs to select state and country names, and occurences of href= to various distributedfolding .html pages.

4) Once the receive of the entire HTML document is finished, the data for the next fileset is transmitted to the DF server.

Steps (1) through (4) repeat.

----

It is my belief that the time spent DOWNLOADING the large HTML document (3) contributes to the overall slow upload pace which I currently see on my dial-up line.

When there is a series of fileset uploads to perform, is it necessary to have a relatively LARGE data receive precede each fileset data transmit ?

mikus

It sounds like the upload is this page:

http://www.distributedfolding.org/cgi-bin/trajstore

However this should not be occurring as far as I can tell. Must be something weird with your proxy set up. If you could copy and paste the info to a text file and post it here, I could tell you more..
    Howard Feldman

Ol' retired IT geezer

Unhappy Large Return Data

My experience is the same as Mikus... When I run in dialup mode, I run a piece of software called "MyVitalAgent" which monitors the dialup connection. For one of its features, it counts the bytes traversing the line for "transactions". During uploads of saved data, the transaction starts with a 116 byte request (upload data); there is a 1691 response very quickly; then a very long wait (10's of seconds) which terminates in a large burst of data which totals 37.9 or 39.7 (I can't remember). Almost immediately, the 116 byte request goes out again to start the next transaction. This appears to agree with Mikus' observation that a large chunk of apparently unneccessary data is being returned during the upload process. I'd love to be able to trace the actual data, but can't...

Ned

BTW, I don't specify any proxy... Unless Sympatico is using one that I don't know about...
    Last edited by Ned; 01-14-2004 at 07:35 PM.

Social Parasite
    Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    Must be something weird with your proxy set up. If you could copy and paste the info to a text file and post it here, I could tell you more..
    The downloaded stuff matches the cgi-bin/trajstore webpage.

I copied a "snapshot" of the IP packets to your incoming directory.

[Just in case it *is* the proxy, the next upload I do I'll try a back-level proxy.]

Thanks for your help, mikus