Thread: I've got shingles

Unhappy I've got shingles

After 2 days of skin rashes and pain around the right shoulder and chest area, I came to see a doctor, and told me that I've got Herpes Zoster

Herpes zoster, also known as shingles or zoster, is a viral infection caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. Anyone who's had chicken pox can develop herpes zoster. The virus remains dormant or inactive in certain nerve root cells of the body and only when it reactivates does zoster occur. About 20 percent of those people who have had chicken pox will get zoster at some time during their lives. Fortunately, most people will get zoster only once.
    So I gotta rest for abt a week at home, because this disease is contagious for ppl who's never had chicken pox.

Has anyone here got shingles before? It bothers me A LOT! It itches badly that I can't sleep last night, and the shingles on the underarm makes moving the arm pretty painful

xp,

I sympathize. I had the Chicken Pox at age 33 Man it sucked. Good thing Id already had the `V` operation

I got Shingles after that, and the Dr gave me Darvocet and Vicodin. If you are old enough, I recommend getting a bottle of Scotch and self medicating

Mine didnt itch, but it hurt...like pain ripples across my chest... so yeah..I know.

Chicken Pox and all those nasties are related to Herpes so most everyone has some kind of this one way or the other.

Hang in there buddy
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Hey, Xp. You've for sure got my sympathy. I'm sitting here in the middle of the night, unable to sleep with pain from a back operation I had last friggin' JULY! If ya don't get your sleep, ya ain't worth ****. It will pass. We're rootin' for ya.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

The doctor prescribed me Acyclovir tablets and some pain medications. He said that I should rest for a week. How long did yours last?

Oh, and thanks for the support!

That sounds particularly unpleasant, XP.

I'm fortunate in that I don't get sick. Ever.

It's quite odd, actually. Of course, to make up for it, I live a lifestyle that pretty much guarantees that I'll get hurt a lot. Aside from computers, I can't seem to really have a good time unless I'm doing something where the threat of death or grievous injury is hanging over me.
    "So utterly at variance is destiny with all the little plans of men." - H.G. Wells

xp,

Mine occurred right after the Chicken Pox and lasted about 2 weeks Painful thing but I havent had an incidence of it since then so hopefully neither will you.

Best o luck and stay `medicated`

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

It's 11:42 PM here and I just had 2 hours of sleep. The pain, the burning sensation's keeping me awake. It's like being poked with a needle

I always thought `Shingles`was a misnomer.

Seemed it should have been called:

`Great Pain Bands Viciously Radiating Along Nerve Lines In My Chest And Back`

Blog Entries
    Xp...I'm sorry you have to go through that. My dad had it and it was quite painful. I remember him telling me that it hurt to even have a sheet covering him.

Good luck and I hope you get well soon. Hang in there!

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

That's right Moogie, it hurts when the rash touches the clothing.
    Good thing the muscle pain is almost gone, but I still have to cope with the stinging pain......

I remember the doc saying that if my dad (who took me to the doc) had shingles, it would've been worse. Shingles is less severe with teens and young adults. (I'm only 15). Let's hope that it's true

Blog Entries
    Well, that would make sense as my dad was 75 when he got them. Hang in there..we are here for you!

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

I think it's getting better now, it doesn't hurt as bad as last night, and hopefully I can have a good night's sleep.

Thumbs down Seems to be the time for sickness

I've had gastric flu this week, marvellous start to the New Year.

Spent most of the time

Hope you are getting over it XP.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear that you are getting better!!! Keep us posted!!

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Finally I did have a good night's sleep It doesn't hurt so bad anymore, and the rash is getting dry. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the doc once more to check on my condition.

Thumbs up Yay!

The pain's gone, only some discomfort at the underarm area. Almost all the rashes are dry, and I only have to take the remaining drugs.

Thanks for the support guys

Now I gotta eat well and sleep well to get me to 100%