Thread: diskless client boot from w2k?

diskless client boot from w2k?

IS there any way to boot up a diskless client from a w2k machine?
    I have an AMD K7 800mhz sitting here after the mobo got fixed again (see the thread about the blown capacitors in the Hardware section) but I don't have an HD to go with it right now nor can I affort to buy one...
    I don't have any experience wit linux.... and actually don't want to set up my PC with it....
    I have a cd rom it could boot off...and i have 512MB RAm to go with it but how can I make it to use my PC as an network drive to load DF from?

questions and more questions....

Maybe somebody can help?

Greets Thor

Can't help you with win2k, but I've got some machines booting off a floppy into linux running seti. They're way more reliable, and once you learn the basic commands, there're not hard to manage. Look at http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/s...i/lrp-seti.htm if you're interested. From there you can download versions premade for different lan drivers built in. If the df client could be compressed (in linux "tarred" and "gzipped") into a 3 or 400k file it would work for you.

Thanks, but I just found a friend who is willing to borrow me an 6.4GB HD for a while....
    On the weekend we'll see if the repaired board performs as it should...

Greets Thor