Thread: What client to use?

What client to use?

I've taken a break from SoB for a while, but was planning to reinstall the client on a XP2700+ and a XP3000+ this weekend.

But I've heard some strange stories about the different clients 1.10, 1.11 and 1.20

I found that 1.11 was released because there were some problems with P4-systems and in that version SSE was disabled. I have 2 AMD machines so that is none of my concern.

I also read that some people measured a -15% performance between 1.10 and 1.20 the latter being the slowest. Is this true/possible?

What are your thoughts on this and where can I download the 'old' clients?

TIA.
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

I use 1.2.0 and it seems a lot better than the older clients.

i on the other hand think 1.20 is worse, my Opteron 240 doesn't go near as fast as it did

I was running the client on several AMD machines and found the new version (1.2.0) was better. I believe the problems it had with serveral processors was in the clients failure to run processor specific optimizations correctly. Like i said the AMDs seemed to score a better rate though. I still stopped running my AMDs on the main project though because i found they were more efficient when devoted to the sieve. With just the 2700+ and the 3000+ you would probably be able to sieve at a total rate of around 1.4 million P per second. You'd be able to make a strong appearance in the sieve stats in no time at all. In addition to that every factor you find (at that rate you'd be capturing at least 5 and probably as many as 15 a day) you'd eliminate the need to later perform a PRP test that would take oyu several days. Although you would never be able to find a prime while sieving you could help the project more my putting resources there. The client can be found at MikeH's sieve site which can be linked to from the sieve factor submission site at www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/
    Right now we can use all the help we can get.

1.2.0 is a good client for most hardware platforms running windows. I am running 1.2.0 on an XP2100+, P4-1.7, P3-M850 and celeron, and it works fine on all of them. I have seen speed improvements of at least 10% on the XP and P3, and the P4 comes back to the level of 1.1.0 (because SSE2 has been re-enabled).

So in summary for all the hardware platforms above this is the fastest client yet, and it's reliable.

Only one problem - don't press the Stop button - the client will crash. But hey....why would anyone want to press the stop button.

Alternatively feel free to try the Sieving, but either way welcome back to the project that does what it says on the tin (finds primes )

So you get credited for sieving?

Hater of webboards
    Originally posted by Opteron Me
    So you get credited for sieving?
    Yes. Check out:

The sieving and factoring stats