Thread: Silly question..

Silly question..

AS far as I understand, most logic devices are designed using NAND gates (because they are fastest). The circuits designed by the DHE use pretty much everything. Would the circuits stand up if they were made out of NAND gates or would they not be as useful? I just wonder because the project could be adapted (maybe) to provide faster as welll as more functional devices?

Keep up the good work!

Squiz

Spelt pretty silly as well...

as far as i know, people use nand gates because you can make just about every other gate out of nand gates, making it cheaper to produce the gate and thus cheaper devices can be sold. You end up using more gates using an all nand gate design. DHE is attempting to provide equal or better performance at as small of a size as possible, not as cheap as possible.

Proof of concept

The main aim of the project is to prove that evolution can arrive at superior solutions to the BIST problem. So far this has been the case when using unconstrained gate types. Now if you're a manufacturer and you'd like to evolve your BIST circuit using NANDs or 5 input LUTs, this could be easily done and evolution would most likely come up with superior circuits under that technology as well. However now we're not constraining the type of technology used.