Thread: Can someone explain this to me?

Can someone explain this to me?

Here are two of my recent factors:
    Code:
      175.140   33661   5633784  17371.407  Thu 22-Jan-2004                                                         
    22851.488    5359   5646262      0.000  Thu 22-Jan-2004
    Both n's are (were) just above the window for PRP. The first one was ound with sieving, the second with factoring. Obviously P is through the roof on the one that scored zero, but wht does that matter? Isn't the fact that I found a P for a soon to be assigned k-n pair what drives the scoring?

It is exactly what drives the scores, yes.

Strange, it should have scored. Maybe MikeH can enlighten us.

Hater of webboards

Re: Can someone explain this to me?

Originally posted by dmbrubac
    Here are two of my recent factors:
    Code:
    22851.488    5359   5646262      0.000  Thu 22-Jan-2004
    Both n's are (were) just above the window for PRP. The first one was ound with sieving, the second with factoring. Obviously P is through the roof on the one that scored zero, but wht does that matter? Isn't the fact that I found a P for a soon to be assigned k-n pair what drives the scoring?
    We have found a prime for k=5359, so no more prp'ing will be done for that k, therefore that factor is complete worthless. The submission script should probably reject it.

Either you should get the SoB.dat from the new version (1.2) of sbfactor or you should manually edit SoB.dat to not include k=5359.

Doh, I'll have to stop posting here half asleep.

Dang!

OK, I guess I could have checked that too.

Funny thing is though, I only started Factoring last week. Everything is freshly downloaded. I did get Louie's new version on Monday, so I'm going to assume there is no more 5359 to be found.

Thanks!

I looked at some of my factor files and 5359 is still being tested. We'd better update SoB.dat to exclude it.

Hi dmbrubac,

After your PM to me on Monday, I sorted this out yesterday. The 5359 factor was being hidden on your personal score card because it's score was zero. I've changed that now, so at least you see these.

I've also sorted out the number of factors found for sieve ranges (again on the personal score card) to cope with the lowering of the nmin to 1M. Now if there is a factor between 1M and 3M it will first check the LowSieve reservations, if the is no reservation, then it will assume it belongs in the 1M - 20M reservation (even though it's still displayed as 3M -20M).

So basically everyone should now get fewer factors which claim to be in unreserved ranges.

Cheers,
    Mike.

I looked at some of my factor files and 5359 is still being tested. We'd better update SoB.dat to exclude it.
    If you take the latest P-1 package from Louie that has an sob.dat that's sorted.

Thanks everyone and sorry about the noob nature of the questions