Thread: Stat question

Stat question

I complete 1 wu for RC5-72 and I wanted to find myself on stats so I can change my password, team membership and everything else. But I can't find myself on stats. I retrive it under right project. Is there minimum amount of wus that must to completed before you show up in stats? How long does it take after finishing wu to show up in stats? I finish my wu week ago.
    =@=

Blog Entries

step by step how to start crunching distributed.net and joining a team

If you start the client the first time (or I think without a dnetc.ini) the client goes into configuration-mode. There are 4 options. You choose "1) General Client Options", then choose "1) Your email adress (distributed.net ID)" there you must enter a valid email-address (I think you did that). With this email-address you can retrieve your account-password on distributed.net to change your acccount-details like username, team-affiliation, ...

Then you run the client and let it crunch some workunits and flush them to the server... I think you did that...

Stats are updated once a day. So you have to wait about 24 hours to show up in the stats. Stats usually update at 00:00 UTC + some hours that it takes to complete their stats-update, so stats are usually available around 3:00 UTC or 4:00 UTC... I think you waited so long...

After those 24 hours of waiting you can go to this page: http://stats.distributed.net/projects.php?project_id=8
    Here you enter your email-address in the "Participant Stats"-search-box and click search... usually you show up there. (I tried it while I write this post and it didn't find my userid because of an database-error but I tried it again and it worked)

At the bottom of your userpage there is a button called "please email me my password". Click it and your password will be sent to your email-address.

Under the searchbox you entered your emailadress there is a link called "Edit your Information". Click it and login with your email-address and the password you should have retrieved per email. You can edit your nickname, team-affiliation,...

If you changed the team to Free-DC I think you must wait again 24 hours to see yourself on the teamstats-page.

That's it...
    And don't forget to start the client again

Oh, I forgot to welcome you edorajh:

WELCOME EDORAJH
    the-mk

Blog Entries
    Erm, and are you sure you crunched some RC5-72-wu's or did you crunch some OGR-wu's?

You can config the distributed.net-client to crunch only RC5-72-wu's. In default-mode it crunches one time RC5-72 then OGR24/25 then again RC5-72, etc...

Enter config-mode (usually right-click into windows-client or use the "Client"-menu and select configure). Go to "2) Buffer and Buffer Update Options". Choose " 9) Load-work precedence" and change it to RC5-72,OGR=0. Then you should crunch only RC5-72-wu's. Don't forget to save this settings!

And to answer your questions directly:
    1. Is there minimum amount of wus that must to completed before you show up in stats?
    2. How long does it take after finishing wu to show up in stats?
    1. Minimum amout should be one workunit.
    2. It takes one stats-run to show up in stats. Stats are updated every day at about 3:00 UTC.
    the-mk

Thanks the-mk for detailed explanation. I did all that but I still don't show up in stats. I flushed one finished RC5-72 wu so I canset up my password, username, team affiliation before I continue to crunch.

I plan to split time between RC5-72 and OGR project.

But I constantly receive No Matching Records Found when I search for my email addy.

When I start DN client I see my email address under Using email address field.

Can completed wu be lost?

BTW, thanks for welcome message!
    =@=

Blog Entries

Try searching only for the name in front of the @.
    Like myname@provider.com so you enter the myname-part into the search field and try it again...
    Another possibility: did you type the e-mail-addy right in the client-config?

And if that doesn't work for you try to crunch another workunit, flush it and wait for the stats.
    the-mk

Is it possible that I didn't actually flush my completed wu? I aks that because I see file called buff-out.r72 in my distributed.net folder. I did click flush when client finish it's first RC5-72 wu, but at that point it already start working on OGR wu. So, maybe it flushes only OGR not RC5-72 wus, and I didn't have any OGR wus completed.

Hmmm, that may explain my problem. Maybe.
    =@=

Blog Entries
    Usually if you tell the client to flush it should flush every buffered workunit, no mather what project (RC5-72/OGR)... IMHO....

Can you tell me what size that buff-out.r72-file has in your directory? If it has only 8 bytes or so there is no buffered workunit in it, but if it's larger there may be a WU in it...
    the-mk

edorajh, I suggest you post your config file here. We can then check if there's an error. I don't know of any error that would prevent you from getting stats credits though.

Several possibilities:

* you calculated a random unit, that was already calculeted by somebody else.
    * you are using a proxy that has not yet relayed the wu
    * you didn't wait long enough (only one stats run per day)
    * stats update did not occur (yet); happens sometimes
    * you misstyped your email either in the search or in the config-file.

Just a few of the thousands of possibilities how to screw the stats. Posting the configfile would make it easier.

~~~

As the-mk stated, the buff-out.rc5 is empty, if it's 8 byte large. If it's larger, right click the client and select "flush" (when using commandline: "./dnetc -flush", or -update to flush and fetch) to do a flush manually.

Greets,
    Wirthi

I will post config file tomorrow when I get back to office. And I will check the size of buff-out file.

* you are using a proxy that has not yet relayed the wu
    * you didn't wait long enough (only one stats run per day)
    * stats update did not occur (yet); happens sometimes
    * you misstyped your email either in the search or in the config-file.
    I'm quite sure possibilities 3 and 5 are not cause of problem.
    Others are possible. I use proxy at work.

I'll try to run it here at home. Just to check things out.

Thanks for help.
    =@=

Blog Entries
    The proxy wirthi meant is a distributed.net personal proxy which means:
    d.net-personal proxy caches workunits between official keyserver and your clients. You configure the client to use your personal proxy on your lan, and you configure the personal proxy to fetch/flush workunits from the official keyserver.

What is a d.net-personal-proxy in their own words:
    With this proxy, you can serve distributed.net clients. It allows you to establish one of your own machines as a buffer between your clients and one of the keyservers that are officially run by the distributed.net organizers. This will allow your clients to waste less time trying to connect to one of the main proxies, since the personal proxy will already have more key blocks waiting for your clients when they're ready.
    This is a own piece of software and is different to a proxy which you could mean, edorajh.

You mean probably a http-proxy, which relays http-requests from the LAN of your office to the internet-website (not so good explanation... maybe someone can explain that better than me ).

As wirthi recommended: please post your dnetc.ini so we can look for the reason why you are possible not ranked.

It's possible that you didn't configure the client right to use the http-proxy in your office to send the RC5-workunit to the official keyserver.

Maybe you have an administrator who administrates the http-proxy in your office, you could ask him for the right settings to use for sending crunched workunits to the server.

Thanks for help.
    No problem!
    the-mk

Just a note to the proxy: If you use a HTTP Proxy, that can, but should not be a problem.

That the proxy cashes your result and does not send it to the server should only happen if you have a distributed.net proxy.

<edit>And again, the-mk was a second faster. Good work! </edit>

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by wirthi
    <edit>And again, the-mk was a second faster. Good work! </edit>
    Thanks
    the-mk

I will post dnetc.ini contents tomorrow. Hope we could resolve this. I like their (dnet's) projects more I look at them.
    =@=

My buff-out file has 32 bytes.

I will PM you content of my config file right now.

Last night I flushed about 10 wus for RC5-72 from home. Hope at least one of them will get through.
    =@=

Update - I show up in stats for RC5-72 but with wu I completed at home. My work unit never show up. I'll try to complete more wus from work to see if they get through.
    =@=

Ok, the one WU showing up was computed at home.

Try to make your client at work write a logilfe, and post that if it's still not working. Can be done by "./dnetc -config" and then the 4. menu entry if I'm right.

Another thing that comes to my mind: are you sure you already completed a workunit? It could be that you're working on an OGR-25 unit (that can take quite a lot of time to complete).

Greets,
    Wirthi

I'm sure that first wu was RC5 and that it was completed.

I will run it again here to see if it works now.
    =@=

Originally posted by wirthi

I think this is one of the most probable reasons of not showing up in stats before. As my client didn't made connection right away (until I configure my proxy settings) it started work on random unit. I wasn't aware of that until I reinstalled everything and saw what happens at the begining. Obviously somebody already did that unit.

Will see when I flush more units from work.

BTW, I just joined Free-DC for d.net's projects.
    =@=

Update - everything works fine now. Wus I completed at work are at the stats too.
    It seems that above mentioned possibility caused problems.

Thanks for help.
    =@=

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by edorajh
    Thanks for help.
    No problem
    the-mk

Originally posted by edorajh
    Update - everything works fine now. Wus I completed at work are at the stats too.
    It seems that above mentioned possibility caused problems.

Thanks for help.
    Please post your address so we know where to mail the bill

Great to hear it's working now! You're already listet in the free-dc stats, too (http://stats.distributed.net/team/tm...d=8&team=26268)

Wirthi

And now I only need to crunch . I'll crunch more once I complete my personal goals in other projects.
    =@=

Re: step by step how to start crunching distributed.net and joining a team

Originally posted by the-mk
    If you start the client the first time (or I think without a dnetc.ini) the client goes into configuration-mode. There are 4 options. You choose "1) General Client Options", then choose "1) Your email adress (distributed.net ID)" there you must enter a valid email-address (I think you did that). With this email-address you can retrieve your account-password on distributed.net to change your acccount-details like username, team-affiliation, ...

Then you run the client and let it crunch some workunits and flush them to the server... I think you did that...

Stats are updated once a day. So you have to wait about 24 hours to show up in the stats. Stats usually update at 00:00 UTC + some hours that it takes to complete their stats-update, so stats are usually available around 3:00 UTC or 4:00 UTC... I think you waited so long...

After those 24 hours of waiting you can go to this page: http://stats.distributed.net/projects.php?project_id=8
    Here you enter your email-address in the "Participant Stats"-search-box and click search... usually you show up there. (I tried it while I write this post and it didn't find my userid because of an database-error but I tried it again and it worked)

At the bottom of your userpage there is a button called "please email me my password". Click it and your password will be sent to your email-address.

Under the searchbox you entered your emailadress there is a link called "Edit your Information". Click it and login with your email-address and the password you should have retrieved per email. You can edit your nickname, team-affiliation,...

If you changed the team to Free-DC I think you must wait again 24 hours to see yourself on the teamstats-page.

Do I have to do that again for OGR project?
    =@=

Blog Entries
    I would say:
    crunch one or more OGR WUs, upload it to the keyserver and wait until the next statsrun to show up... that's all... you stay in the same team (Free-DC at the moment), have the same nickname, etc...

But the statsrun could be a problem at the moment, because their stats-frontend is down because of a hardware error see progress there or there

All you need to do is to switch to OGR in all your clients.
    the-mk

Originally posted by the-mk
    ... you stay in the same team (Free-DC at the moment) ....
    Do you? I thought you can be on different teams at the different projects? It's been a while since I last changed teams but I remember that I still was on my old RC5-team when I had already joined the Free-DC OGR team. So it *could* be that you'r teamless once you joined an new project. On the other hand, if I was Mr. Distributed.net, I would make those project-newbies join the team they'r already on at other projects.

Projects meant in the meaning of distributed.net projects.

Blog Entries
    IIRC: When I changed from our old team to Free-DC I only changed one time and I were in all d.net-projects on team Free-DC...

If you change your team on d.net, you do it globally for all d.net-projects
    the-mk

Thanks for answers. Anyway, I should wait for their stats to come back, and then see how it goes.
    =@=