Thread: Which yields more performance?

Xtremesystems Folder

Which yields more performance?

Higher fsb or higher cpu clock?

Xtremesystems Folder
    Anyone?

...sheesh this forum is anything but lively..

Re: Which yields more performance?

Originally posted by isp
    Higher fsb or higher cpu clock?
    If you're talking about the same type of cpu at identical cpu clock speed, the system with the higher fsb will be at least marginally faster. (As will switching to DDR from SDRAM, moving to ram with a lower CAS rating (CAS 2.0 does improve your performance a bit over CAS 2.5 or CAS 3.0) ).

Comparing a 2.4Ghz P4 with 533 Mhz fsb to an AMD XP 2400+ with 266 Mhz fsb with comparable components.. would usually leave the Athlon in the lead.

I seem to recall my Athlon XP 1700+ systems were outproducing some of the 2.x Ghz p4 systems from Dell.

When comparing Celeron to Celeron, p4 to p4, Duron to Duron, Athlon XP to Athlon XP - (or any of the other cpus df runs on) I'd go for higher cpu clock first; and then opt for the highest fsb I could get without wasting too much money..

Mention what cpu family you're talking about and perhaps the benchmarkers familiar with that family can mention the speed difference on the benchmarks for each of the available fsb options in that family.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Xtremesystems Folder
    specifically, amd tbred and bartons..

Thanks though, that was insightful.

As for the Bartons:
    Every cpu after production week 39 in 2003 is locked, so no change possible for the multiplier but oc still possible via FSB....
    As far as I know, you should try to keep the FSB and the RAM syncronized as long as possible...
    So a 166Mhz Barton which runs at 200FSB (which gives you somthing like a 3200+ I think) should have RAm which can also go at 200Mhz...

If the Barton only runs at 180Mhz FSB but your RAM can only do 166Mhz it will eat up some of the performance for syncronizing with the cpu....
    Try google, it will tell you more ...

Greets Thor

If you are wondering whether you should go with a barton or tb that has a similar performance rating(for example a 2400tb 2gh 266 bus 256 cache vs a 2500 barton 1.8 333 512 or 2600barton 1.9) I would say the higher clock is more important than the higher fsb/larger cache for the majority of distributed projects.

I don't have performance numbers for this project though.

Electric fence operator
    I noticed the same trend in the benchmark thread, allen. However, if overclocking is in the plan, the Bartons are far, far superior in that area. The 2500+'s have lots of headroom, typically enough to hit 3200+ performance with stock cooling and reasonable temps (my two run full load ~ 44 - 47C). That's quite a deal for around $80 @ newegg. Come to think of it, maybe I should add one more....
    "If angels have voices, then surely they must sound like Loreena McKennitt" - me 1/2/04, somewhere over Illinois

Member of Free-DC

Xtremesystems Folder
    I'd recommend the 2400 mobile... when overclocked it's basically a barton and has such a low vcore, plenty of headroom...

Originally posted by isp
    I'd recommend the 2400 mobile...
    Make sure your motherboard can take a mobile. Many motherboards can't.

Xtremesystems Folder
    Good advice, how can I find out if it's compatible..., what's the deciding factor?

I was planning on using the Biostar M7NCG 400...

Originally posted by isp
    Good advice, how can I find out if it's compatible..., what's the deciding factor?

I was planning on using the Biostar M7NCG 400...
    The best way is to find a post where someone has gotten a mobile to work with a particular motherboard. Then check what they had to do to get it to work.

As I understand it, the voltage programming is different with a mobile, so either the BIOS must support mobiles, or you have to set the voltage manually (and the BIOS must not explicitly recognise and refuse to work with a mobile).

The Shuttle AN35Ultra-2 works with the mobile processors (cheap, good no-frills MB) Currently running an AMDXP-2400 mobile at 2.4GHz with a cheapo HS on this system. $77 at newegg for the processor and I got a refurbished MB for $38

Xtremesystems Folder
    prokaryote,

is this the board you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-045&depa=0

Yeah, that's the one, only it was $38 in the refurbished section. It's the system I'm using to post this message with. So far so good!