Thread: There is no reward for doing well in SubProjects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There is no reward for doing well in SubProjects

It seems to me that there is not enough recognition for doing well in SubProjects aside from the badges.
    Would it be a relatively simple matter to add Top10 sRanks and Top100 sRanks?
    I think getting Top1000 sRanks may prove too simple to get but then newcomers might just love them for that very reason, and keep them coming back.
    By all means give them a weird name so people don't guess what they are if you feel that you need to. I'd go as far as to suggest the Fonk, the TeraFonk and the ZetaFonk?

I suppose that while I am on, I might as well remind you of our old discussions of Team and Country related MiRBs and TeraMiRBs. I think tMiRbs and cMiRBs and possibly their corresponding Tera's are screaming to be heard ;-) With 10's and 100's as their thresholds instead of 100's and 1000's

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Ask and ye shall (sometimes) receive

Remember my argument against the team ones though. Anyone can form a new team and be the only member to skew those stats. Country to a lesser extent

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    It seems to me that there is not enough recognition for doing well in SubProjects aside from the badges.
    Would it be a relatively simple matter to add Top10 sRanks and Top100 sRanks?
    Thanks for yet two extra items to score. I do think however that there is more than just badges to show you're doing well in SubProjects.
    e.g. number of SubProjects and SubClanks (the number of SubProjects you are actively working on in the last forty days), but also all other SubProject MM's.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 02-11-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: explaining the meaning of SubClanks

Thanks for that Bok - excellent work as always.

I get what you are saying Dirk, but those don't really tell you how you are doing in comparison to others. I am a strong believer that sites like this one give a whole extra level of motivation to some people, and if a bit of competition motivates people then the projects (and in this case the sub-projects) benefit.

Mind you, I completely forgot that introducing new MM's would mess up my spreadsheet - So I have had to spend some time this morning sorting that out!
    I do get frustrated by the sequence of MMs on the Userbycpidmilestones page changing depending on whether you do or don't get some MMs. For example, if one day you get the MM for Clanks or Sub-Clanks, and the next day you don't get one of those (cos you do or don't hit the trigger number required), the MM list's sequence changes - albeit consistently, but it makes a mess of copying that table to a spreadsheet. A fixed sequence would be much more friendly to people like me. Especially if Clanks and Subclanks were at the bottom, as they are probably the most fluid ones to get or not get day to day. I think I kind of like the idea of putting all the value ones in sequence but with all sub's together and the non-subs together. If anyone is remotely interested I would happily produce a list of what I mean, but I suspect most of you are asleep now or muttering "Wierdo!" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    I get what you are saying Dirk, but those don't really tell you how you are doing in comparison to others.
    I wonder if you really get what I am saying. I have scores in 99 SubProjects, making me #5 all-time SubProject cruncher world-wide on that score. You will need 20 extra SubProject scores to get even with me.
    I have presently 40 SubClanks, making me the most active SubProject cruncher, world-wide, over the last 40 days -and if you follow the SubClank scores over the last years you will see me constantly in the top-3. But you only need nine more active SubProject scores over the last forty days to get even with me there...

LOL, I think you have a fairly unique perspective up there Dirk, and keep up the fantastic work that got you there. I totally admire your dedication to Boinc.
    I am coming from a little more 'normal' perspective and I have no aim (never mind the computing power!) to attempt to oust anyone from anywhere. Nor to even try to make it look like I am in your league however temporarily I could possibly do that for. I am not one of the aforementioned ones who does this to compete as such, I just find that attempting to maximise my MM's while I crunch adds a little bit of fun into the mix and that's good.

I do actually happen to be on a bit of a mission regarding projects with sub-projects at the moment which is why this change occurred to me, but my purpose is to get a TeraMiRB for Sub750's. Hardly a lofty aim but it keeps me amused and Boincing!

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Let me know the order you would prefer and I'll see what I can do as I kind of have a mechanism for it, just need to adjust some values here and there, it's basically a bigint I assign to each row to get the credit based ones in the right order but a bunch of the special category's all get assigned 0 so the order by is semi random.