Thread: Update on new DB server

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

Update on new DB server

I know it's been a while, so wanted to give an update on this.

Server is up and running with Centos8 installed, latest version of mariadb and I've tweaked the DB settings as much as I can to try and keep the database in memory (without using the ENGINE=MEMORY fully - too much of a change).

I spent about a month tweaking some of my scripts to try and streamline some operations with varying successes. I would like to do some more radical changes but I'm also cognizant about getting this online, not least the fact that it's sitting on a coffee table in my front room with a 50 ft ethernet cable attached stretching to a router!

Now to the fails. These are the storage entries

Attachment 1395

I have 2 Intel SSD's as the primary O/S drives, these are pretty solid and no issues. They are enterprise grade drives I had already as backups for the current server.

There are also 4 nvme m.2 drives in the system as the database drives.

1xSamsung 950
    1xSamsung 960
    2xIntel P660's

1 is using a connector on the board while the other 3 are in adaptor cards on the PCI lanes

One of the intel's is just not stable. If I leave the stats running , then about 24hours in it crashes - always the same drive. It's under warranty as I just bought these in June/July with the recent donations, so I'll look into returning it.

I only really need 3 minimum but I know the Samsung 960 is also potentially not quite 100% (it came from zombie67 and he had noted some issues with it). But it's been running the stats for the last 48 hours ok.

I have ordered another Samsung 970 which will arrive tomorrow so I'll put that in.

I may still do some more tweaks.

Now to the good news.

Even though the processors (cores) are a little slower in this server the stats are running about 3x faster, probably mainly due to the amount of processing in memory and the sheer speed of the hard drives.

The longest running query has always been the computation of the combined user stats which does a sum, group by cross project id and then update, this is running in about 8mins now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drives.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	1396  

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Stats have been running well on new server for almost a week now without issue. There are a couple of places that I haven't updated yet but most of it is done. Nightly rollover is much quicker on this setup (and with a couple of coding tweaks to be fair).

FWIW stats6 is pointing to the new database server..

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Sweet, would love to help again with the coding but a sheer lack of an internet connection that isn't my phone unless I wanna either add a 4g modem as a 3rd line or add hotspot to this phone or upgrade the entire phone plan so it has hot spotting included...
    I do love the fact that both my old Samsung J3v6 and my A10 crunch pretty well....
    I really hate the GDPR had to go dig through Einstein and enable stats for it...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Sweet, would love to help again with the coding but a sheer lack of an internet connection that isn't my phone unless I wanna either add a 4g modem as a 3rd line or add hotspot to this phone or upgrade the entire phone plan so it has hot spotting included...
    I do love the fact that both my old Samsung J3v6 and my A10 crunch pretty well....
    I really hate the GDPR had to go dig through Einstein and enable stats for it...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..