Thread: FDC RAC columns shows zeros when it perhaps shouldn't. Incredibly trivial but ...

FDC RAC columns shows zeros when it perhaps shouldn't. Incredibly trivial but ...

I imagine this is going to seem incredibly trivial to almost everyone but me, yet I feel sure that there are many thousands of Free-DC spreadsheeters like me out there (Yeah, Ok, perhaps just me ;-)
    I select, copy and paste the excellent data from Free-DC daily and paste it into my spreadsheet which rejigs it all and helps me see what's what, which in turn helps me plan what projects and subprojects I am going to hit over the next few days weeks and months.
    So I noticed something this morning when something didn't quite add up in my spreadsheet, and it's this. In the FDC RAC columns for both Projects and SubProjects you get 0 values showing where values are actually less than 0.5. They show in the correct FDC RAC rank sequence but the column is simply rounded to whole numbers and shows a zero.
    I use this column as a flag to test for activity, and it is also crosschecked against the Clanks and SubClank totals towards which it contributes, and as it stands it doesn't marry up if the FDC RAC is between 0.01 and 0.50

If anyone is still awake and reading this at this point then I commend you BTW.

So it seems to me there are a few possibilities to rectify this.
    1) Round up. Simply add 0.5 (Possibly 0.49) to all the numbers so that all non-zero values show as at least 1, whist 0 values remain zero. Possibly unethical but I suspect absolutely nobody would notice or care - I have never found a use for the actual value of FDC RAC other than as a relative indicator of activity. I'm happy to accept I could be wrong here.
    2) Add a decimal place. Who doesn't love more accuracy? Meh! It would sort of spoil the aesthetic of the screens which currently have no decimal places.
    3) Add a new Y/N column to indicate whether or not the Project/SubProject is currently a Clanker/SubClanker, and then all the many thousands of people like me can use that column instead. Meh! Bigger change for everyone and would beg the questions from some as to why a zero value gets a Clank/SubClank. Think of the disruption it could cause! ;-)
    4) Ignore this completely as being correct but picky in the extreme. I would probably rank this one quite highly, though I remain optimistic that option 1 will carry the day.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    well, i do actually store it with decimal places in the database, just don't display to that level.

Easy enough to change though..

Blog Entries
    You didn't mention which page, so I took a guess - take a look on stats6 at the userbycpid page (also this is pointing to the new database server)

https://stats6.free-dc.org/userbycpi...b7e6206990b3f5

Yes, apologies for being careless and not mentioning it.
    I did of course mean both the main userbycpid page and the usersubprojects pages. Your change on the stats6 page looks good and I don't think the presence of decimal places spoils the look of the page, nor would it on the subprojects one. :-) Great stuff.

Blog Entries
    I've put it on usersubprojects too.

That's great! Thanks Bok - as ever.
    Does that mean that it will find it's way onto the normal stats page in due course?

Blog Entries
    done

Cheers and thanks Bok