Thread: A new measure of greatness ;-)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can't believe nobody thinks enough of this idea to comment on it one way or the other. Weird!
    Perhaps most current people looking have heavily invested in Bitcoin Utopia, fair enough, if I had I would probably think the same way.
    However I for one still feel having some form of leveller across time would be good.
    Oh well. I will retire shortly safe in the knowledge that once I had reached the dizzy heights of 1937th in the rankings, but have since dropped steadily to 2110th today and my contribution will forever become more and more meaningless. Hey Ho!

Just thought I would remind all the many interested parties that I am still happy to answer any questions

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I did a little bit of work on this but didn't get that far yet.

Cool. Very happy to hear it.

So I've just calculated my Legacy value by adding up the non-time related MMs and used both of the above optional weightings and come up with a grand total of 3249.
    It's probably worth mentioning that I used a decimal for "No of years service". Just to be clear, I have done 9.49 years of Boincing for example so I get a 9.49% bonus.
    If anyone wants to compare that's fine but without a rank it's pretty meaningless, so if you all want to post your Legacy values here ....
    Last edited by MarkRBright; 04-08-2021 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Accuracy

So its 3 weeks and some later, and after a monumental effort I have managed to rank all the manually calculated Legacy values posted here and I am now in a position to publish the entire ranked Legacy list here and it looks like this ;-)

1. MarkRBright 3268

So glad you have all joined in with this one and taken it to heart

I have about a weeks worth of excuses left before finally giving up with what's left of my farm (bit more like a window box these days though), so I thought one last nudge to you Bok for Legacy. I shall keep one PC going, albeit only when it's actively in use from now on. I still think Legacy is my best idea by miles and would love to see it implemented, but whilst this thread has been read over 1000 times, it seems only Werimbert agrees with me (Thank you!) though it may just have been an attempt to claim the name

To all of you who will one day be forced to, or feel the need to, or just want to, stop BOINCing, and would like to have something lasting and fairly solid to remember/remind/reward/rank you for your efforts over the years, that you could just pop in and check up on from time to time, you could always consider giving this thread a kick, and if you are more successful than me please message me as I would love to know just how far down the pecking order I really am.

Bok, Thankyou for humouring me over the years, it was much appreciated.

OK, so my week's wind-down unsurprisingly took a little longer than expected, but after notching up my final Bok, I have no more excuses available to me and it's time to bite the bullet.
    I have a snapshot of my spreadsheet as it stands today with it's best numbers about to be decimated by inactivity, but I know just how good or bad I was, I have MY Legacy!
    I shall doubtless call in every now and again (and if I spot a new project, I may just be tempted to quickly notch up another 100k/Bok/Nebber/Project and of course up my Legacy), but for now I leave with an unopposed Legacy of 3290, firmly in the number one (and only) slot! With any luck if I pop back in I will have been put in my correct place. I sincerely hope I am Bok.
    I shall really miss this, but needs must, and with any luck Quantum Computing will make this all unnecessary one day anyway, who knows?
    The most important thing is that I was having fun doing it and keeping my ageing brain occupied, I hope I did some small modicum of good. Keep up the good work all of you. (Now where's that electricity bill?)

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I pretty much do the same thing. Got 2 24core machines switched off, plus my kids each have a dual hexcore not doing much of anything. I jump on anything new and that's about it.

As for coding, still knee deep in work stuff. Been learning a lot of Azure stuff, Data Factory and Databricks (python and Spark stuff) for interfacing. Lots of other stuff going on in life too, some bad unfortunately. Having to take of all that first which is slow going.

thanks for that Bok, glad to hear the idea is not dead - I will look in from time to time to hopefully find out just how bad I really am

Ha! So exactly a month after I all but stop, I got two emails telling me I had new badges! So I thought I'll take a look and update my BOINC spreadsheet with them.
    While doing that, I decided to update my spreadsheet with the latest numbers and see what effect my relative inactivity has had on them and whether or not my Legacy had been affected in an unpredicted way.
    So my Squarepants has nosedived, largely due to Clanks and SubClanks and their associated hit on Maxwells, MiRBs and TeraMiRBs. My rankings have been hit hard too, down 200 in the world (and falling) in such a short time, It took so much longer to climb those 200 places. And my Ravage was been ... well ... ravaged!!!

But to my delight, my Legacy had actually gone up by one (due to continued Boincing, albeit on a very small scale) to 3293. I consider that a triumph!
    And of course the big news is I am still at number 1 in the Legacy Rankings! Cool! It seems there is nobody is anywhere near my exalted position - quite literally!

Until the next badge ...

Note I find it interesting that my Ravage wasn't as bad as I expected and that is because I had lost all my SubClanks and therefore, my earlier dropping-like-a-stone SubClank Rank had just gone away in a puff of smoke! Bonus!