Thread: A new measure of greatness ;-)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Gosh my brain hurts a little but only because it's Sunday morning and I retired from Boinc pretty much 9 years ago so I have totally missed out on Bitcoin etc... can't really crunch on an Android phone too much and my main quad is well still packed from when I moved, laptop crashed and never recovered plus its 10 years old...
    I do drop in here from time to time...
    All good ideas and I really need to brush up on my php,js,Python skills
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Lightbulb

So, how is it that these adverts put it?
    100% of all those who expressed a preference think it's a good idea!
    Yup! That's the one!
    I don't think any of you will ever beat me though! I am at number one because I am simply the best , with a Legacy currently standing at 3299 and firmly in the number 1 spot, and until I plummet to around 5000th when this is implemented I am going to continue to enjoy the experience.

Sorry for continually posting to this but I just want to keep it alive, and I continue to hope that other people (like you!) will think about it and respond to it saying "Good idea! I like it! "

So, I’ve just been having a little play with Legacy and I decide to calculate it for a couple of other people just to see what happened and I think the results are interesting.

I looked at the very top of the rankings and there is Hemmo with numbers that are just huge. So I pasted Hemmo’s numbers into my spreadsheet and was very surprised to find that Hemmo has a fairly feeble Legacy score of 306 – compared to my 3300! I was curious and looked at Hemmo’s stats to find little more than a huge run at Bitcoin Utopia. Looking closer still I found that whilst I don’t know the date Hemmo stopped Boincing, there have been no Recent Milestones since the 6th May 2017, so I put that into the calculations to find Hemmo ends up with a Legacy of 294! Now I don’t want to take anything away from the tremendous effort Hemmo put into that, but I am looking for something that could be ranked to show a level of ‘greatness’, a lasting legacy of your time spent Boincing (and of course using Free-DC)

So I looked at number 2 in the Stones rankings – Ste\/e. Pasting his data in I found his Legacy to be a massive 6255!!! The big difference between these two is that Ste\/e has basically done it all, in spades.

OK I now have to admit what I was avoiding admitting in the past – I am not the number 1 Free-DC Boincer ever – but until this is calculated for us automatically, I will remain at number 3 in the only rankings that there are - mine, with Hemmo at number 4.

Now some might say Legacy is just another Squarepants, and to some degree it is. The big difference is that Legacy sticks. It won’t go down if you stop Boincing, people have to beat it to get above you in an official Free-DC Legacy Ranking. Squarepants will drop as you lose (Sub)Top 10’s etc, Maxwells, MiRBs etc, and Vaios and Clanks. So, you could stop Boincing at a particular rank in Squarepants and you will drop off just because you stopped.
    Legacy is for keeps. You could come back in a few years and check on your Legacy Ranking. It might encourage you to do a little more – in fact doing so would marginally increase your Legacy and subsequent Legacy Rank just because you will have been done a little more and therefor Boinced longer, and why wouldn’t we want to encourage that.

And just in case it inspires you Bok, you are sitting in 2nd place with a seriously impressive Legacy of 5031. Just in case the observant amongst you wondered why I was at number 3.
    Last edited by MarkRBright; 08-22-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    If you could ever figure out how to put it all into an equation, so I don't have to do that legwork, I would try to code it. I'm sure I'd have to create some extra tables and such, but if the data exists..

I'd need a lot of detail.

Just PM'd a lot of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    So, I’ve just been having a little play with Legacy and I decide to calculate it for a couple of other people just to see what happened and I think the results are interesting.

I looked at the very top of the rankings and there is Hemmo with numbers that are just huge. So I pasted Hemmo’s numbers into my spreadsheet and was very surprised to find that Hemmo has a fairly feeble Legacy score of 306 – compared to my 3300! I was curious and looked at Hemmo’s stats to find little more than a huge run at Bitcoin Utopia. Looking closer still I found that whilst I don’t know the date Hemmo stopped Boincing, there have been no Recent Milestones since the 6th May 2017, so I put that into the calculations to find Hemmo ends up with a Legacy of 294! Now I don’t want to take anything away from the tremendous effort Hemmo put into that, but I am looking for something that could be ranked to show a level of ‘greatness’, a lasting legacy of your time spent Boincing (and of course using Free-DC)

So I looked at number 2 in the Stones rankings – Ste\/e. Pasting his data in I found his Legacy to be a massive 6255!!! The big difference between these two is that Ste\/e has basically done it all, in spades.

OK I now have to admit what I was avoiding admitting in the past – I am not the number 1 Free-DC Boincer ever – but until this is calculated for us automatically, I will remain at number 3 in the only rankings that there are - mine, with Hemmo at number 4.

Now some might say Legacy is just another Squarepants, and to some degree it is. The big difference is that Legacy sticks. It won’t go down if you stop Boincing, people have to beat it to get above you in an official Free-DC Legacy Ranking. Squarepants will drop as you lose (Sub)Top 10’s etc, Maxwells, MiRBs etc, and Vaios and Clanks. So, you could stop Boincing at a particular rank in Squarepants and you will drop off just because you stopped.
    Legacy is for keeps. You could come back in a few years and check on your Legacy Ranking. It might encourage you to do a little more – in fact doing so would marginally increase your Legacy and subsequent Legacy Rank just because you will have been done a little more and therefor Boinced longer, and why wouldn’t we want to encourage that.

And just in case it inspires you Bok, you are sitting in 2nd place with a seriously impressive Legacy of 5031. Just in case the observant amongst you wondered why I was at number 3.
    Already tried Zombie67, Mumps or vaughan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Already tried Zombie67, Mumps or vaughan?
    That would be madness! As I have a sneaky suspicion that if I did then I would not be number 3 in the Legacy rankings! It was tough accepting I was no longer number 1!
    Gah! You made me look at yours Dirk, and now you are number 3! I'm down to 4 - I won't be drawn into that again! We'll all just have to wait and see.

A True Measure of Greatness ;-)

So, after a couple of months away, after the worst of the withdrawal symptoms have dissipated, I just want to thank Bok for sorting out Legacy and it's associated Rank. I love this because since I last looked all of my activity-dependant MegaMilestones have fallen away, and I have plummeted in many of the rankings, including 289 places in the good old total Cobblestones rank! I know! That's a shedload! There was a time when this would have upset me greatly, but now, thanks to Bok, I have my Legacy, which has held fast at 3007 despite doing virtually no Boincing and while everything else slipped away. I have dropped one place from 40th to 41st in the Legacy Ranking which i like to think of as the "Greatest Ever Boincers in History" Ranking . Yes I know there might just be one or two out there who might disagree with that - but that will not stop me liking to think it! ;-)

The funny thing is, that when I originally came up with the Legacy idea, I really wanted Bok to allow us all to see the Legacy Ranking table, so we could see who was ahead of us, who had just overtaken us, or is about to overtake us, or who we could overtake if we put our mind and a little bit more effort into it, all of which would be another incentive to keep on Boincing for "just another week or two". So I need to thank him yet again for not doing this, and allowing me to go through withdrawal without too much difficulty.

Some of you might just read this and think "That fonker is just trying to use reverse psychology on Bok to get what he wants!". We may never know for sure, but I don't think that's the case.
    Last edited by MarkRBright; 11-08-2021 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Typos

Davis, California // Beni Mekkoud, Morocco
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    That would be madness! As I have a sneaky suspicion that if I did then I would not be number 3 in the Legacy rankings! It was tough accepting I was no longer number 1!
    Gah! You made me look at yours Dirk, and now you are number 3! I'm down to 4 - I won't be drawn into that again! We'll all just have to wait and see.
    I looked! Alas the world is spiraling downward into the pit of infamous legacy. 2840 gets me to a mere 60th place. Now if I could only figure out how to get my computers out of first gear...

Edit: I just realized I resurrected this post. Has it really been that long since I actually looked at the upper section of my stats page only to find the new Legacy rank?