Thread: java prob

java prob

It keeps stopping. Should it?
    I go into services and the only option is to start it.

Other times it is there, but not crunching; too often.

Normal?
    SNAFU'ed? ... Turn the page!

It doesn't sound normal; but on the other hand, I'm not sure what would be causing it. The only thing I can suggest is to open up the service properties- there should be an option on what to do if the service fails-- you can try setting that to restart and see if that will keep you running. The project server was off for a while yesterday; and I noticed that 2 of my clients had died--they restarted OK though. Might also be worthwhile to completely restart the box and see if that clears it.

I've had similar experiences, but it happened to my overclocked systems. Eased up on the memory settings and reduced the OC and it got better. Still, the clients do stop every once in a while and I have to restart (after a re-boot).

Ok, selected restart for first, second & subsequent failures and started it again.

I don't consider my 2500+ Barton as oc'ed as it is on a 400 bus instead of the 333; more of a no longer underclocked 3200+ Barton

tks for feedback

edit:
    It seems to be workin' again

fyi: I put restarts to every 30 minutes.
    Last edited by meckano; 04-16-2004 at 07:32 AM.
    SNAFU'ed? ... Turn the page!

I've had a simular experiance on both of my Athlons; primarily with java.exe starting up but not doing anything, but also once with the service stopping without notice. Just wanted to report that the error wasn’t an isolated one. It seems that java.exe just sitting there is most likely a result of the server not handing out information – though it is hard to be sure since I don’t think 139.184.166.27 will accept pings at the best of times. I have set my services to restart as mentioned and haven't had anymore trouble. Lately they've been starting up happily so whatever it was that was causing them to hang seems to have been resolved (at least on the machine that I watch on a regular basis).

-DrkNexus-
    22. And since every present state of a simple substance is a nature consequence of its preceding state, the present is pregnant with the future. - G.W. Leibniz

P.S. 8:45 PST Started up island Nexus_Hagiel to see whether the java problem was in effect for me as another user was reporting it was in effect for them on another thread. While my other two islands are happily using up CPU cycles Nexus_Hagiel which has the same internet connection as the others is using no CPU time and 8,616K... now 8,632K of "memory" as I stumbed over painfully to the second island and various and sundry tasks (say about 8 minutes).
    Last edited by DrkNexus; 04-19-2004 at 12:02 AM.

BTW - It should be noted that miguelgarvie has previously addressed this issue in part in the Is it doing anything? thread... so perhaps next time it starts doing this we ought to stop the process and kick up the GUI and see what error message it produces.