Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server having problems?

rshepard was right, the problem was Marvin. This island was just creating hundreds of spurious connections. I this kind of thing keeps happening I'll have to write some code to handle it. Sorry about this, server is running fine now.

The stats show Island Not currently active, eventhough I am still chugging away. Are we down again?

time to kick the server again, Miguel

Also, would you look at the overall rankings ( Total Circuits Evaluated)-- I seem to have disappeared from the list

Thanks

Server up again.

rshepard, you're in position 306. Is this not correct?

You're still in top 5 for effort.

No- I was #1 for quite a while, just waiting for diGriz to run over me. I think it fell off sometime after I broke through 2,000,000,000 circuits. Some sort of overflow condition maybe???

Hmm.. Funny that the overflow didn't hid Bolivar. Do the stats look better now?

Much Better!!

Thanks

Server needs some coercive violence to get it going again.

A quick dose of percussion treatment appears to be in order.

This brings me back to a question in another thread I started 'Significant Downtime" where I asked about possibly saving completed work to disk during extended server outtages and the ability to view the java output to know if significant amounts of work are waiting to be uploaded.

I'd also like to get an idea on how many servers we are communicating with for uploads. Is there are need for perhaps additional upload points with the ability to cache work on them before finally reconciling with the main server? Sort of like the old seti-q idea.

I'm keen to keep supporting this project, which I consider to have very worthwhile aims, but am finding I have to divert CPU resources to other projects due to an inability to keep the client running at full capacity.
    Crunching for OCAU

Server down again?...

Server going for full restart 10:37 GMT.

Blinkin Server is down again... It's not running Windoze Server 3 is it? Or maybe someone should give the little hamster in his wheel some water!

P.S. Miguel, American_Maid_2 is trying to connect to the server (been doing so for about the last 4 days) Can get to the rest of the internet no probs. Thanks, prok.

Server was shut down yesterday by Sussex IT people without warning. They say it was attacking another computer on campus with a DDOS.

I might have to come back to this project when the server situation is resolved. I'll keep watching this thread for news.
    Crunching for OCAU

I was surprised that Island topology was not reset when the server was fixed. (Forgive me, I'm new to this project). With such an empty 'world' (only edge islands), wont migration and evolution be hindered?

Regards,
    Andrew

Server back on-line. Looks like the attack thing was just a scare . Thanks for your patience.

The ring topology is because the server was never actually turned off, they just disconnected the network socket and filtered it out of the univiersity firewall. I'll just be double checking for any worms and everything should be normal.

Migration should be going round the ring like on a motorway.

Miguel

... and it's down again...

BTW- Is posting server outages useful?

And up again. We'll now be focusing on ways to stabilise the server.

Originally posted by miguelgarvie
    And up again. We'll now be focusing on ways to stabilise the server.
    I asked a question earlier in this thread about ways of getting more server points available. Is that possible?
    Crunching for OCAU

It would be a nice extension to http://distrit.sf.net . If we get a good proposal from a coder on how they would do this, we would gladly accept it into the mainstream code. Miguel

Server down

Down again...

Cheers.

Free-DC's Prime Search

Stats problem

There's some kind of problem with the stats. Look at the numbers?

Carlos

EDIT

Problem fixed
    Last edited by em99010pepe; 11-14-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Downage

Cannot connect...

Cheers,
    Andrew

Up again. Power had been cut in the lab.

Hmmm... just what is going on with that pesky server?

After going down this morning, all of the crunchin' of the previous day was in vain- is there no way to recover to the last evolved state? Also, after the last reboot, the server time was actually correct- now we are back to +1:00 (well in the UK anyway).

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Hi Ace,

Thanks for your message about the time. It's been corrected now.

The run has been restarted deliberately because it had been converged for two days and nothing was happening. A new measure has been introduced to avoid this and seems to be worked very nicely. Basically an immigrant won't be allowed into an island unless it is 0.08 better at fitness p1. This creates speciation as several islands are close to the best global best become immune to be overrun by immigrants. This avoids premature convergence on local optima. By watching the cluster it seems this is a pretty good strategy because it happens often that the global best comes from one of the top five global best, so its good to keep the diversity there.

Miguel

A very interesting answer- thanks for the reply.

Andrew

No very important, but server time is +1:00 again.

Looks like IT shut down the server again this weekend!

Getting kind of old, these problems almost always happen on a Friday and aren't resolved till the following Monday. Is there anyway to check to see if the server is up over the weekend and give someone a call? I've got a couple of systems that I have to reboot and the project will endup losing that work since they couldn't check into the system.

Server is up. There was power failure in the department over the weekend. They still haven't sorted out the webserver so the dhep website is down. However the DHEP server itself is up and running and collecting stats as I write.
    Miguel

Server down again?...

Again and again, what kind of server is this?

Miguel, would you be so kind to answer ace_dent's question of 6 weeks ago: "BTW- Is posting server outages useful?" and react to the remark of prokaryote that this always seems to happen on a friday (except today of course).

You seem to be a man of little words. Spend a bit more of those please.
    Don't Panic!

No crunching this Christmas?

Well, seems to be lot's of questions about status and no answers to them given. Let me know when it is a go with this project again. See ya!

Stan
    US-Distributed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12