Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ticketing System DETAILED FAQ

Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    Since a lot of my "backlogged" generations are still from the old protein, now that it has been more than 48 hours, what happens? Do those proteins just get discarded by the server and it will continue to upload more generations? Or will the client get stuck forever on that generation and never proceed to the current protein's completed generations?
    IIRC: Scientifically old data is useless, since the database is already closed for later analysis. Old results are only counted for the statistic for up to 48 hours after the changeover.

Now might that be part of the problem? An uncounted number of computers running mostly unattended still trying to upload buffered results of the old protein?

@Howard or Elena: Is this the normal (and intended) behaviour of the client: to upload buffered results of the previous protein even days after the grace period ended?
    just a guest from www.rechenkraft.net

Originally posted by Hermes
    IIRC: Scientifically old data is useless, since the database is already closed for later analysis. Old results are only counted for the statistic for up to 48 hours after the changeover.

Now might that be part of the problem? An uncounted number of computers running mostly unattended still trying to upload buffered results of the old protein?

@Howard or Elena: Is this the normal (and intended) behaviour of the client: to upload buffered results of the previous protein even days after the grace period ended?
    I would think it is, since the client doesn't know when the credit stops for old work. It has to upload the results anyway to get to the new ones in the filelist.txt. The client doesn't know that the server just bit-buckets them (hopefully early on in the process, so it doesn't impact the database server).

0-6 12-9 11-3 11-3 0-8 1

Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    Since a lot of my "backlogged" generations are still from the old protein, now that it has been more than 48 hours, what happens? Do those proteins just get discarded by the server and it will continue to upload more generations? Or will the client get stuck forever on that generation and never proceed to the current protein's completed generations?

Thanks,
    Jeff.
    i was successfully [ ???] uploading the old protein - for no points apparently.. until this past weekend, on one box..[other was already converted into uselessness]

trashed everything; reloaded the client [ fresh download] into empty directory; [ p*ssed away about 1000 gens, I figure, thru-out the past week or so].. now I'm like nearly everyone else with the new protein, uploading nothing...

fortunately??, a HDD crashed last week, taking one box out of the game;
    a second box had some kind of OS issues, and I cant risk losing it...--

so I have only one HEADACHE left !!! this old 1.2 AXIA, running faithfully for nearly 3 yrs !!.. when DF KILLS THIS MACHINE, maybe I'll take up gardening..
    " All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

" Crunch Away! But, play nice .."

--RagingSteveK's mom

Add that to the list of future program updates... check for the allowable protein size/dates for upload, and if the gen to be uploaded is older than that allowable, then delete the gen, and check the next..

Hopefully leaving notes that it's time to update the client..
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

On Friday night, I was getting "Failed to query status for ticket 192.168.10.105_1082836896_9383" type errors. (That isn't my ticket).

On Saturday, I moved my system to another location (Lan party). And I haven't seen that error since.

What does it mean, and why did it stop?

If you get that error, should you nuke the receipt.txt file, and end up with a new receipt?
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Originally posted by Stardragon

The reason you are currently falling behind is because of the backlog on some of our servers. If your files end up on those servers, it will take longer to validate them, as files are processed in a (FIFO) first-in-first-out manner.

Again, accept my aplogies for the confusion I have created. We are working on speeding up the backlogged servers so all results can get validated quickly, as they should be. [/B][/QUOTE]

FIFO.you have 31015 registered users some have a huge amount under one name,so what you saying is keep buffering those gens,FIFO will catch up in about a month or there abouts.

@Privateer: Have a little faith
    Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    The servers are processing the tickets slower than they should, indeed. We are going to get it fixed but it will take a few days to isolate and correct the problem. This is a complex system and not trivial to 'debug'. It sounds to me like the only real problem people are having is that it is buffering more than it is uploading. Once we fix the backend this will allow the buffered stuff to come through.
    And read the posts
    Dutch Power Cows, The Stampede that's heading for the top.

Faith GRRRRRR.

DF now has lost all my points and everyone elses,including urs,are you still praying

i think you will find that Howard said that the fix would allow buffered stuff to come through. He said nothing about getting points.

reminds me of the Doctor Pepper ad on TV,,,,,

"Whats the worst that could happen"???

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I have made enquiries, and sadly there is not enough beer to get us through this mess
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    < drives up to the bar with a fleet load of beer - on tap, in cans, many flavours>

Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Sooooooo some for me,,,,, one for Grumpy. What is everyone else going to drink??

I have 2 boxes folding online........nothings be buffered....all seems to be uploading(stills seems slow tho). So does this mean only if gens are buffered you will receive a ticket-receipt?
    Or have they changed this again?
    And could someone plz delete gophers post..........I get dizzy scrolling through it....lol

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    BEER !

And Folding is working well..power on...

Well Done to Howard and Elena and many thanks..

Hic !
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12