Thread: AMD64 CPUs and FAD

Boinc'ing away

AMD64 CPUs and FAD

Anyone else running FAD on a AMD64 setup? If so, what CPU rating are you getting? I'm only getting 70 on my AMD64 3400+

You should get the same rating you would for an XP @ the same clock.
    I get 210 with my amd64 3000+.
    Any amd over 2400 should get around 210.

It sounds the me like youve got a lot running in the background. Is this a main computer or dedicated cruncher?

Boinc'ing away
    After posting over on the FAD forums it's probably due to the way FAD does the rating and Cool'n'Quiet putting the CPU at 800MHz when idling...so when FAD starts and the CPU is idle at 800MHz that's the rating used but once processing the CPU is runnning at full speed...

Not too nice imo...

The program will sample your rate more than once durring the proccess. whatever rating you are at when the drug is complete determins your points.
    At least this is how I understand it.

As for as quiet and cool,

I disable all that stuff
    V

The CPU rating is recalculated every 30 mins.

EvilMoose, I would guess that the average CPU rating is used to calculate the points, not the CPU rating when the job is completed. Otherwise it would be very, very simple to cheat

Boinc'ing away
    I was having some other problems with it anyway (always have had problems with the Think engine) so stopped FAD...

I had left it running for ~1 hour but the CPU rating was still at 70...odd...

Evilmoose (what a handle! I gotta chuckle when I type it.) is right. My xp3000+ also pulls a 210 rating.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Originally posted by alpha
    The CPU rating is recalculated every 30 mins.

EvilMoose, I would guess that the average CPU rating is used to calculate the points, not the CPU rating when the job is completed. Otherwise it would be very, very simple to cheat
    30 min sound right but what I was geting at is that I think the cpu rating averages itself as it goes. So the rating should be accurate by the end of the drug.

Just worded it wrong

Paratima, the nick is a long story, but if you can keep a secret Ill tell you,
    I am not really a moose
    Dont tell anyone else OK

I agree...I have seen numbers between 168 and 210, most being in the 192-210 range on an A643200. This is very similar to an XP/MP2400. I have seen low ratings less than 100 occasionaly when another process like defrag was running. Any possibility thats the case here? What does Task Manager say?

Boinc'ing away
    it's gotten up to 170...still seems low for a AMD64 3400+ though...

Processes list:

E.M. Your secret is safe with me!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

I wonder if it would do any better under Linux. Does Knoppix support amd64 yet?

Just saw this:
    The AMD64 port of Mandrakelinux 10.0 has been announced and released: "Mandrakesoft today announced the availability of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official for the AMD64 platform (Athlon64 and Opteron). Mandrakelinux 10.0 for AMD64 delivers all the features and robustness of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official to the 64-bit platform from AMD, with an average performance gain of 20% compared to the IA32 version." Read the complete press release and visit the product's features page to get the full details. Mandrakelinux 10.0 for AMD64 processors can be ordered from Mandrakestore for US$129.90.

That Task Manager looks pretty normal. Have you tried a different job type? Linux might be slightly faster, but not much here.

Hairball Herder and chatbot
    I'm consistently getting 210 as a CPU rating throughout on both the XP Pro box and the Debian 2.4.24 box. Both are Athlon XP 2800+ CPUs on a 333FSB w/ 512MB PC2700 RAM (identical boxen, pretty much).

Better late than never?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by MerePeer
    I wonder if it would do any better under Linux. Does Knoppix support amd64 yet?

Just saw this:
    The AMD64 port of Mandrakelinux 10.0 has been announced and released: "Mandrakesoft today announced the availability of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official for the AMD64 platform (Athlon64 and Opteron). Mandrakelinux 10.0 for AMD64 delivers all the features and robustness of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official to the 64-bit platform from AMD, with an average performance gain of 20% compared to the IA32 version." Read the complete press release and visit the product's features page to get the full details. Mandrakelinux 10.0 for AMD64 processors can be ordered from Mandrakestore for US$129.90.
    MeerPeer,

both Suse and Gentoo have athlon64 ports which are very stable already and available for free

I have an opteron 144 running Suse 8.2 in 64 bit mode and an Athlon64 running Gentoo for AMD64

Bok

Thx Bok. I don't need the 64 stuff. It turns out I just installed Mandrake 10 tonight. Maybe I'll try Gentoo on the next one -- I thought Suse was $ now that Novell involved?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Suse does cost normally, but they have their ISO's available for download on ftp usually prior to release

No reason not to go Gentoo though, if you're willing to do a little extra work up front the payback is worth it...

Bok

I'm getting around 180 with my AMD64 3200+. It does seem low, but hey, 2.2Ghz in a 32bit enviorment has little advantage. Now if we had a 64bit OS and FaD client...

We would totally pwn the 32bit-ers.
    The whole world, de-acidified and filtered

http://redukt.org

XPC's Extreme Cruncher Plum Ugly's Avatar
    HI Ya'll
    After the last fad upgrade your cpu scores will be somewhat lower than before. Fad uses the FSB to take its cpu ratings from. So if ya OC you'll get higher ratings.
    Linux and windows gets about the same cpu ratings with AMD chips.Linux does get better ratings with a Intel P4 chip and windows gets a real poor rating with P4's.