Thread: Server Migration Complete - Post problems here

Server Migration Date/Time

As seen on the news page, I plan on migrating to the new server on 05/18/04 around 1-2AM EST. It should take no longer than an hour or two at the most.

Once again, thanks to Fritz for his donation of the new server and to voxel.net for hosting it. And thanks to those who reported bugs on the new server.

-Mike

And so it begins..

And so it ends..

Everything should be running on the new server now. Let me know if you have any issues at all.

For now, I've proxied over those that are using the ip instead of the hostname and in a few days I'll post a list of those who need to fix their clients.

--
    Mike

Works great.

One problem is that the results.txt.bz2 file is not available and the link from the P-1 coordination doesn't work.
    I get the response: connection refused.

Maybe it will fix itself wenn the file is generated for the first time, but I thought I would post the problem anyway, just to make sure.

I can't get to http://www.seventeenorbust.com/ at the moment

Well same here, It worked ~30 minutes ago.
    Probably the reason for the missing result.txt.bz2 file also

If you try to ping or nslookup www.seventeenorbust.com and it replies with 216.163.x.x then your dns still have the old hostname cache and violates the RFC (like a lot of servers do..) It should update in 24 hours or so.

otherwise try using http://seventeenorbust.com or http://www.seventeenorbust.com or http://devel.seventeenorbust.com .. all three of those point to the new server.

also, the next.txt and results.txt.bz2 problem should be fixed.

Blog Entries

one so far

only devel. works at this moment...

Pinging seventeenorbust.com [216.163.34.*]
    time out

tracert

4 15 ms 34 ms 37 ms fe0-0-v2.world0.rt.intercom.net.ua [83.218.224.193]

5 350 ms 338 ms 366 ms core-1-1GE-221dot1q.kiev.ucomline.net [62.221.40.141
    ]
    6 334 ms 350 ms 336 ms se-2-6.hsa1.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [212.162.47.109]
    7 332 ms 337 ms 384 ms so-4-0-0.mp1.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [195.122.136.161]

8 334 ms 347 ms 363 ms so-0-0-0.mp1.London2.Level3.net [212.187.128.61]
    9 429 ms 410 ms 442 ms as-0-0.bbr2.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.128.102]
    10 599 ms 448 ms 449 ms so-0-0-0.mp1.Detroit1.Level3.net [64.159.0.193]
    11 473 ms 439 ms 903 ms ge-10-0.hsa2.Detroit1.Level3.net [64.159.0.206]
    12 495 ms 501 ms 531 ms core.level3-gw.sfld-mi.hexcom.net [63.211.17.178]
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.

C:\Documents and Settings\death>ping devel.seventeenorbust.com

Pinging mandos.seventeenorbust.com [69.9.160.*] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 69.9.160.*: bytes=32 time=487ms TTL=52
    Reply from 69.9.160.*: bytes=32 time=452ms TTL=52
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

The most recent results.txt file can be found here.
    Well result.txt.bz2 now exist but it is only 14 bytes long and next.txt is empty ...

It seem that www.seventeenorbust.com works again, so maybe I'm just being directed to diffrent DNS-servers ...

Originally posted by Frodo42
    Well result.txt.bz2 now exist but it is only 14 bytes long and next.txt is empty ...

It seem that www.seventeenorbust.com works again, so maybe I'm just being directed to diffrent DNS-servers ...
    okay now both files *should* be there.

Yup now it works, and rather fast I'd say.
    Usually I could get result.txt.bz2 at a rate of ~10 KB/s, not It's my connection that's the bottleneck and I got it a ~200 KB/s

I can't upload the completed blocks for a long time by now.... it keeps giving me the server busy message. (Look this: http://www.seventeenorbust.com/stats...ml?userID=6910). Are there any changes to the dns of the data upload server?

My client can not connect with sb.pns.net. Both on the old IP adress as on the new IP adress. At the graphs of the teams and users at the statpasges no one can.

Oh, thanks... I checked now that too.... I'm often getting connection refused from the www site... but that's normal, considering the change, I think....

Looking at my logs, it appears that all was well until about 6am EDT. Beyond that point, I haven't been able to connect. FWIW, my DNS resolves sb.pns.net and sbp.pns.net to the new server, but www.seventeenorbust.com to the old.

Yeah.. mysql died...

free(): invalid pointer 0x8089604!
    !!! Runtime error: Parameter underflow in ::Query().
    errno = 11

restarted now..

[edit: errr i meant sbserver. sorry i just woke up!]

Connecting fine now...thanks! My DNS still resolves www.seventeenorbust.com incorrectly, but hopefully that should sort itself out soon...

Looks like the factors file http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/results.txt.bz2 still isn't working. Currently a file is there with file size = 14 bytes.

No more sieve/factoring stats until this one is sorted,

Originally posted by MikeH
    Looks like the factors file http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/results.txt.bz2 still isn't working. Currently a file is there with file size = 14 bytes.

No more sieve/factoring stats until this one is sorted,

well, i hope its fixed now. if not i'll keep digging..

Originally posted by Alien88
    Yeah.. mysql died...

free(): invalid pointer 0x8089604!
    !!! Runtime error: Parameter underflow in ::Query().
    errno = 11

restarted now..

[edit: errr i meant sbserver. sorry i just woke up!]
    Did mysql again die? Because now I can not connect.

Originally posted by Joh14vers6
    Did mysql again die? Because now I can not connect.

it's sbserver that's dieing, not mysql.. and yeah, it died, im trying to figure out what's going on.

Thumbs up

I don't know what you did, but after the server being up-and-down most of the day, I've seen two solid hours of really fast response. Good job!

Well this seems somewhat strange to me.
    Since I got up I got connection refused, but then I was suddenly able to browse the website for some minutes and then I again got a connection refused while browsing the site
    Could still be a DNS problem for me, but why would the DNS change while browsing the site?
    Anyways hope the new server gets up and running, cause when it works it works very fast compared to the old one.

Well this seems somewhat strange to me.
    Since I got up I got connection refused, but then I was suddenly able to browse the website for some minutes and then I again got a connection refused while browsing the site
    Could still be a DNS problem for me, but why would the DNS change while browsing the site?
    Anyways hope the new server gets up and running, cause when it works it works very fast compared to the old one.
    I think I tracked it down. the slave nameserver wasn't updating from the master for some reason.

Blog Entries

well done

it works! now www.sob.com and sob.com both resolves normally. and supersecret tests keep flowing =))

nice job!! we're happy
    88, Alien!

btw, where's country flags??
    Last edited by Death; 05-19-2004 at 04:42 AM.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Cool

I've now seen 14 solid hours of quick response without a single hiccup (well, without a server-side hiccup, anyway...nothing you can do about my *own* stupidity...)

Great job - thanks again, Mike, Fritz and voxel.net

Originally posted by MathGuy
    I've now seen 14 solid hours of quick response without a single hiccup (well, without a server-side hiccup, anyway...nothing you can do about my *own* stupidity...)

Great job - thanks again, Mike, Fritz and voxel.net
    Only the sbserver has hiccups. Right now again.

It seems to me that there is a problem with factor submission.
    Even though the page accepts the factors and says they are new, they don't get added to results.txt
    From this page it also seems that no one has submitted new factors also seems that there has not been submitted any new factors the last 24 hours.

It seems to me that there is a problem with factor submission.
    Even though the page accepts the factors and says they are new, they don't get added to results.txt
    From this page it also seems that no one has submitted new factors also seems that there has not been submitted any new factors the last 24 hours.
    That would have to be a problem with that website, not with ours. The results.txt.bz2 file is definitly increasing in size and new factors are getting added. There's no way it's a problem because if it couldn't add the factors to mysql, it would die on the submissions page.

--
    Mike

That would have to be a problem with that website, not with ours. The results.txt.bz2 file is definitly increasing in size and new factors are getting added. There's no way it's a problem because if it couldn't add the factors to mysql, it would die on the submissions page.
    Hmm, seems you are right just downloaded a new results.txt and it had the factors I submitted recently in it. Sorry 'bout that, seems i bothered the wrong Mike
    Last edited by Frodo42; 05-20-2004 at 01:43 PM.

Hmm, seems you are right just downloaded a new results.txt and it had the factors I submitted recently in it. Sorry 'bout that, seems i bothered the wrong Mike
    Hmmm.....it works now, but that's the first different results.txt.bz2 file that I've downloaded since 19-May 03:00 UK time, so that was 6 updates where the results.txt.bz2 file download OK, but was unchanged from the previous.

I can see from my logs that nothing strange has happened on my side, but we need to keep an eye on this one.

That would have to be a problem with that website, not with ours.
    Last time I looked we were working towards the same goal. References such as "that website" really aren't helpful.
    Last edited by MikeH; 05-20-2004 at 02:27 PM.

Originally posted by MikeH
    Hmmm.....it works now, but that's the first different results.txt.bz2 file that I've downloaded since 19-May 03:00 UK time, so that was 6 updates where the results.txt.bz2 file download OK, but was unchanged from the previous.

I can see from my logs that nothing strange has happened on my side, but we need to keep an eye on this one.

Last time I looked we were working towards the same goal. References such as "that website" really aren't helpful.
    If you took offense to "that website" then I apologize.

No offence intended. Non taken.

Originally posted by Alien88
    Yeah. We love "that website". Thanks for all the hard work you do on the sieve stats Mike. All the sievers appreciate your dedication. I know I do.

I'm sorry we temporarily torpedoed the sieve stats by doing the server migration. DNS records around the world are slowly coming around and begining to point to the new server. It took me three days to see the new server at the regular www address so it doesn't surprise me that it took you a few days too. I'm hearing less and less of these issues so hopefully things smooth out soon.

Then we can focus on important things... like how our super-fast server and our outrageously fast connection are so absolutely incredible. Seriously, 10x more processing power + 100x more bandwidth + several hops closer to (multiple) major internet backbones + more efficent database =

Cheers,
    Louie

Blog Entries

yeah!!!

100 factors verified in 2 seconds!! blaze!
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Both louie and i are without power after storms ravaged this area. I don't have much power left on my power backups, but if you don't see posts for a day or two.. its cause we have no power!

Good thing we moved the server last week...

I agree with the above. During the day, for a time, I couldn't resolve the website. When I could, and especially tonight, it responds very fast.

Fritz

Originally posted by Fritz
    I agree with the above. During the day, for a time, I couldn't resolve the website. When I could, and especially tonight, it responds very fast.

Fritz
    ok i have power back for now.. but yeah. for a portion of the day, the place that does the DNS for www.seventeenorbust.com was without power until they got their generators running.. however sb.pns.net would still resolve so the clients were fine