Thread: Unusual spike on FTP site

Unusual spike on FTP site

We have observed over the past few weeks, a sudden spike in the number of users downloading the client from our FTP site. While this is excellent of course we have more people downloading the client than running it, apparently.

If anyone has any idea what/who may be responsible for this sudden surge, please contact us (trades@blueprint.org) or reply here if appropriate. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
    Howard Feldman

Hmmmmm. I noticed a lot of traffic on the mirror, also.

I don't have enough boxen anymore to need the proxy ( ), but I wonder if there could be a glitch in it. I am not a Web guru. Is there any way to tell if the download requests are proxy-generated?

Edit: I *had* seen a lot of traffic. Just looked again. Nothing unusual since Tuesday. I just changed servers, so the stats aren't continuous. I'll watch it next week.
    Last edited by Paratima; 07-23-2004 at 01:18 PM.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Sneakernetters ?

Maybe part of the difference is because some users are forced to work off-line and flush in weekends. Those users will show up in the next couple of days.

And anothe discrepancy might be cause by "double downloads":
    For instance, my "regular"on-line clients auto update like their supposed to. But I also download a fresh client for my off-line "typewriter", wich works off-line untill monday late. Then all results are transferred and uploaded. In this way I actually download 1 extra client from the ftp.

DPC: We're going for the #1 again

Check the logs.

Are there any particular IP's making lots of requests ?

It is quite possible that a lot of folders with multiple boxen don't use download daemon (be it because they don't know it even exists, or don't know/wish to use it), so that every system gets the update directly from DF FTP site.

On the other hand, while working on Casp6, we have updates every week, instead of once a month...

Just to clarify, these are MANUAL downloads from our FTP site - nothing to do with daemon/proxy or auto-update. And as I said, # IPs downloading client recently > # folders... which leads me to wonder whether some of these souls know they are downloading the client...?
    Howard Feldman

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Well, there are a lot of people trying Linux for Folding now, maybe they are installing different distros and thus need to keep DLing the Client after each Install..yes, backing the DL up so only need to get it once seems easier Or we could have a lot of new people trying out DF and are having issues getting their Handle to start
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Maybe it's your CASP competition trying to get an edge...

I couldn't get the download to work last night I went to the ftp part of blueprint but there is nothing in Distrubuted only a Team 50 or something file...
    Overclockers Australia

My Power
    =
    Overclock and Be Happy with what you have got!

-=United We Stand - Together We Fall=-