Thread: b0rk?! Warning during upload: STATUS 908 INCORRECT PROTEIN

b0rk?! Warning during upload: STATUS 908 INCORRECT PROTEIN

Don't like the look of this!

I've been running the client as a service in the background for months. Checked my stats this morning and noticed nothing much was happening - didn't look like i'd uploaded any data.
    Went back to look at error.log and found lots of these messages (one for every upload attempt, ever since we changed protein yesterday.

What's happened? Do I have to delete something or should this fix itself?
    Example of the message in full:
    Thu Aug 05 10:59:47 2004 ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4942} Warning during upload: STATUS 908 INCORRECT PROTEIN

You didn't update. Download the update.

But I did update.
    I have auto updates on.
    I even stopped the service, ran foldit as a client window and watched it say "checking for new versions" then carry happily on.
    I've downloaded the update manually and installed it over the top and it STILL does it.
    And like i said i've been running this thing for months, during which there have been plenty of other updates which have gone without a hitch.

I'm not an idiot (although some would say managing 4 corperate Win2k servers as a day-job makes me one), i'm just trying to sort this without losing the data it's already run.
    If it has somehow been running the wrong definition despite my efforts to make sure it was updated then fair enough, i'll remove the service, delete the folder and install again and see if that fixes it.
    Last edited by meglamaniac; 08-05-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Originally posted by meglamaniac
    I've downloaded the update manually and installed it over the top and it STILL does it.
    Did you delete the work files after you did this? These would be all the files that contain your handle as part of their name, as well as filelist.txt and receipt.txt.

If the current set of generations is giving 908 errors, then that set is hosed, so you may as well start over with a new set.

I don't know what would have caused this problem, but there was a hicup in sending out the updates to mirrors, with an initial bad version being replaced by the current version. If something between you and the mirror decided to cache (to save bandwidth), then it may have cached the bad version.

I keep something similar to the following on all my boxen. This is the Windoze version. Rename for Linux.
    I run it at changeover on the boxen I update manually. Good cleaner-outer in case of problems like you're reporting.

CLEANUP.CMD:
    DEL FOLDTRAJLITE.LOCK
    SLEEP 3 ...................just in case
    DEL xxx*.* .................xxx = 1st 3 characters of handle
    DEL FOLD*.BZ2
    DEL FILELIST.TXT
    DEL RECEIPT.TXT
    DEL ERROR.LOG
    DEL DFGUI.G* ............clean up dfGUI's work files, too

If it's been a while since I cleaned up, at this point I'll usually wander over to the system TEMP directory and sweep out things there, as well.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Well as it seems I've lost whatever data it was running I'll just scrub it and start again.
    Never mind.