Thread: Strange computer restart

Strange computer restart

Hi all,

I experienced a really weird event today! I decided to join the MD5CRK effort and downloaded the Linux X86 ZIP file with the md5crk binary (SHA1 sum 8d2d572b929bb20211afccb233c01d026d1ddeb0) contained inside. CHANGELOG file claims it to be the version 1.0.7, AFAIK the newest now.

I created a new user on my Linux workstation for this job, placed the files there and run the client. It asked for some info and after several moments it started to work, in my opinion.

I did other work but after a few minutes the screen went black and computer started to boot without any warning! What is even more strange, I suspect that the machine was powered off (according to the sound) for a second and then started itself! But it was just a flash and I'm not really sure.

I was not sure whether it was caused by the (unprivileged!) md5crk client or not. I run it again and the same event hapenned. Then I did my work for some more hours without problems.

There was a possibility of some temperature fuse in the machine, more and more dust does not serve well to the hardware, I thought. So I caused some load (about 5.00) for about half an hour and the computer was happy. Nothing bad occured.

Five minutes after the third run of md5crk client, the computer restarted again. Does any of you please have a clue, where the problem may lie?! It's really strange an unprivileged program causes the machine crash! There might be of course an undiscovered bug in Linux, nevertheless I suspect my hardware first -- but after an year of everyday use, I had no hardware stability problems!

The machine: AMD Athlon XP 2200+, nVidia2 chipset, 512 MiB RAM, OS Linux RedHat 9, vanilla kernel 2.4.25

Thank you!

Tuttle

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    more than likely caused by bad memory.

Try running prime95 and see if that crashes it also.

Bok

This sucks!

Thanks for the tip.

The prime95's torture mode caused machine reboot in one hour and fifty minutes. :-( Well, there must be something rotten in the box. I'll try to measure temperatures under load and run memtest86 also.

:-(

Solved

Well, I opened the case a removed the fluffs of dust, mostly in that narrow space between the heatsink and its own fan. There were almost no passage way for the air stream. Now the CPU is ok, and I have no problem holding the finger on it. :-)

Now the md5crk runs for almost an hour without interruption...

I think it's great that md5crk caused your machine to reboot before prime95.

Hehehe. How's the king to burn-ins now! :P

Though, Prime95 does have more memory stressing...

JLC