Thread: Any interest in remotely controlling clients?

Any interest in remotely controlling clients?

I threw together a small app to let me control the DF local services on my laptop, I got sick of navigating to the services to increase battery time every time I unplug. Still trying to figure out how to automatically detect the unplugging, but that's another topic...

While putting it together I noticed that it's a small step to go from controlling the services locally to doing it on remote machines. (Windows only at this point. If you're using an *nix you can probably automate this yourself anyway)

There are already a bunch of utilities that monitor status and output, but none of them actually allow you to remotely control clients. I'm also starting to think it would be cool to automatically recover crashed clients, need to think about that one more.

Any interest in this?

Controlling as in starting, stopping and (folding while) uploading from remote location?

It could definitely be useful.

Hey Galuvian,

If you download dfGUI (http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/) it will let you easily Start/Stop you local DF service, but more importantly for you, it can be configured to detect when your laptop goes on battery and will automatically stop your DF client until you plug it back in again. It will then automatically start the DF client once you go back on main power.

There is also a generic tool that will let you control services and run other commands when the laptop goes on and off battery from Melinate here: http://melinate.com/dev/vb/powerpoll/

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I completely missed that feature in dfGui. Powerpoll looks very useful too.

I'd certainly be interested in being able to remotely control pc's, although I'd have to be convinced it was secure

Boinc'ing away

Re: Any interest in remotely controlling clients?

Originally posted by Galuvian
    I threw together a small app to let me control the DF local services on my laptop, I got sick of navigating to the services to increase battery time every time I unplug. Still trying to figure out how to automatically detect the unplugging, but that's another topic...

While putting it together I noticed that it's a small step to go from controlling the services locally to doing it on remote machines. (Windows only at this point. If you're using an *nix you can probably automate this yourself anyway)

There are already a bunch of utilities that monitor status and output, but none of them actually allow you to remotely control clients. I'm also starting to think it would be cool to automatically recover crashed clients, need to think about that one more.

Any interest in this?
    Controlling services over a LAN is fairly easy with NetSvc - not sure how easy doing remote control over WAN would be with that though...

Last edited by Roughnet13888; 10-16-2009 at 12:54 AM.

I'm sure my ancient lappy detects and changes power settings for off/on batt/mains but that may be Windoze anyway but surely that plus a couple lines of code would extend it to include certain services? And local or net control has a lot of different progs as above and some others via a Goggle search. I think Windoze 7 switches services on/off as needed as well but access to that type of code would be restricted as is any system related dir where it would reside. That's my biggest "thing" with Win 7, the difficulty of getting 'at' certain dirs and files even as an admin.
    Oh now, I think that one of the controller softwares for mains backup does a lot of extra things like detecting other than power levels and may also include access to the free coding. Another possible line of enquiry but I can't remember which it was.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat